General Meeting Information
Date: April 18,
Time: 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Location: DA Library, El Milagro Rm LC237
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 1:30 p.m. Review Agenda & Notes I/D Mieso/Robles 1:35 p.m. Equity Plan and Vision for Success - Draft I/D/A Newell 2:20 p.m. Program & Committee Updates I/D All 3:00 p.m. Adjourn
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
SSPBT Goals & Priorities 2018-19
- Enrollment, Retention, Student Success
- Student Centered Funding Formula
- Guided Pathways
- New Intiatives: AB705, AB19, SEAP
Members: Avila, Balducci, Booye, DASB (B. Tanubrata) , Galoyan, Glapion, Kirkpatrick, LeBleu-Burns, Mandy, Mieso (co-chair), Robles (co-chair), Shannakian, Shively, Wethington, White-Daniels
Attending Members: Avila, Balducci, Booye, Galoyan, Glapion, LeBleu-Burns, Mandy, Mieso (co-chair), Shannakian, Shively, Wethington, White-Daniels
Guest: Mallory Newell
There were no amendments to the notes or to the agenda.
Equity Plan and Vision for Success - Draft
Goals from both reports have been integrated and the plans aligned with the institutional metrics.
- The final Equity Plan is due to the state May 30, 2019
- The final Vision for Success plan is due to the state June 30, 2019
- Both plans will be going to the May 6th Board Meeting for approval
- Feedback will need to be sent in by Friday, April 26th
Please use “track changes” when submitting updates/changes
The Equity Plan included information from the Education Master Plan, the De Anza Mission Statement, Vision, Values, and institutional metrics.
Some questions were asked about the groups and the categories defined in the report. Newell responded that the state is requiring the college to look at specific disproportionately impacted groups and then to break them down by gender.
With the Student Equity Plan Goals and Activities, some committee members asked about funding and resources for these goals. Currently our budget will not be fluctuating for the next three years, we are in a “hold harmless” status for now since the funding formula is still being refined along with the data elements. Currently the Equity budget is tied to the original plan and is under Instruction. Some questions and comments that came up were:
- How are these goals going to be accomplished without funding? One example used was Foster Youth that doesn’t receive any funding at this time.
- Some believe that SSPBT needs a mechanism to be included in these budget discussions since the report includes services provided by Student Services.
- Some felt the integration of BSI, Equity, and SSSP should begin now instead of waiting.
- The SEAP committee has not met since the final funding guide has not been finalized.
- Maybe form a joint PBT between Instruction and Student Services to allocate this budget
- Mieso suggested the committee review the integrated plan that is currently posted online
- Webpage: https://www.deanza.edu/sssp-se-bsi/
- Shively expressed concern about the legitimacy of the funding formula since it doesn’t incorporate full cost of living in student financial aid. Note: Shively mentioned that there was a vote of “no confidence” by the Faculty Association in the state chancellor’s office on May 14, 2019 in the May 16, 2019 SSPBT meeting.
The actions to achieve these goals utilizes Guided Pathways and retention efforts including Outreach and Relations with Schools, Office of Communications, Food Pantry and Community Services, Foster Youth Services, LGBTQQI Resources, First Year Support Cohort Program, Veteran Services, Learning Communities, and revision of Assessment and Curricular Pathways.
Full Equity Plan - Draft
Vision for Success
Includes data from the last 5 years and notes have been added to explain how the goals were created.
- Enrollment was factored in and trends were reviewed with the data.
- Transfers and ADTs are growing even though enrollment is down
- Quarterly Census Enrollment Reports are on the IR website
Full Vision for Success Plan - Draft
Program & Committee Updates
Booye didn’t have much to report from Classified Senate since we just started spring quarter but she did want to mention to support classified employees so they can participate in Professional Development Day that is coming up on Friday, May 17th.
At the Academic Senate the FW grade was approved. Mandy reported that in order to better serve the students and the state requirements regarding Financial Aid, the FW will show the last day of attendance and if they did not finish the class after the withdrawal deadline.
Avila reported that the survey did go out for the SLO Convocation and that they will report out when they have gone through all of the data.
Documents and Links
- SSSP-SE-BSI integrated Plan 2017-2019
- De Anza College Full Equity Plan
- Census Enrollment Reports[BROKEN LINK]
- Full Vision for Success Plan