Use What You Learn
The Humanities Mellon Scholars offers each student a paid internship for up to four quarters, providing a first-hand look at the possibilities open to graduates in humanities-related majors.
These work-study programs let you go behind the scenes of and participate in day-to-day operations at a local museum, community art project or special events related to the humanities.
My internships taught me to be a better writer and developed my critical thinking skills. Mellon Scholars can seem intimidating but it’s worth it to push yourself and get out of your comfort zone.- Camille Henry
You'll explore career opportunities, network with professionals, and contribute to meaningful work in a professional environment — applying skills and practices learned in your coursework.
Internship placements may include museums, theaters, non-profit community organizations, educational projects or music and film production companies. You will gain insight into your internship organization while also learning from the experiences of other Humanities Mellon Scholars.
How Does the Internship Work?
The internship averages from five to 10 hours per week, paid at $17 per hour. Mellon Scholars are also required to enroll in an online internship course during each quarter they are interning:
- ITRN 50 (one unit) during the first quarter
- ITRN 51 (two units) during the second quarter
- ITRN 52 (three units) during the third quarter
- ITRN 53 (four units) during the fourth quarter
These four courses are offered only at Foothill College. Students are encouraged but not required to intern for the full four quarters.
HMS interns check in weekly, using the Canvas online learning system, to submit timesheets and share updates on internship experiences.
What Are the Minimum Requirements?
- Be 18 years or older
- Commit to working at least five hours a week (except during finals week and holidays)
- Have your own transportation to the internship workplace
- Be enrolled in a Humanities (HUMI) course during the same quarter as your internship
- Attend an internship workshop before your first quarter of interning
Where Can Interns Work?
See a list of some of our partner organizations.