The Russian Department at De Anza College is situated within the Intercultural International Studies Division. We offer quarter-long first year language courses that build reading, writing, listening, speaking, and cultural skills essential for simple conversations and basic knowledge of the language. These courses fulfill all GE requirements, are UC transferable, and meet a requirement of the A.A. Degree in Global Studies.
Please enroll and spread the word about the Russian language program at De Anza College to make it a strong, vital, and continuing part of our World Language offerings. Students "vote" with their enrollment!
Russian is one of many world languages taught at De Anza. We provide a wide range of course levels to meet the needs of our students, including introductory and/or elementary sequences for all foreign languages offered, and intermediate and advanced courses for some.
What if I already know Russian?
- You have studied Russian at another institution (high school or college)
- You are a heritage speaker
- OR have other knowledge of Russian
You may be eligible to enroll in a higher level of Russian. To accurately assess your
past instruction (and support your success in further Russian language study) we require
a World Languages prerequisite clearance to register in RUSS 2 or higher. If you would like to reach an instructor, see our Russian department faculty list.
Please follow these general rules to decide which course level is best for you.
- One year of high school language is equal to one quarter of De Anza language. For example, if you took Russian 1 & 2 in high school, you can continue with Russian 3 at De Anza.
- In case you did not take Russian 1 or Russian 2, but you studied Russian before or you learned it by speaking in the family, you will be asked to complete an assessment to clear prerequisites for respectively Russian 2 or Russian 3.
- Review the Russian course catalog and current schedule of classes.
- Visit our division's World Languages website for more information about taking a language class at De Anza.