Music 16A: Beginning Acoustic Guitar/16B Blues Pop, Jazz Guitar
Beginning Acoustic Guitar - tentative schedule (under construction)
Chapter 1, Getting Started
Lesson 2: notes on the fretboard/fingerboard
Appendix: Buy a metronome: working with a metronome (in class practice)
For next week: practice chords every day, using changing tech. Work on melodies with
Lab: Chapter 1, Reading TAB
Chord chart reading: C, G, D7
Review This Hammer’s too heavy
Review Lesson 4, Begin Lesson 5 strumming, 6 - changing chords, 7: Full Size Chords
Chapter 2 Reading Music: the staff p. 16
Week 4: Test 1: study all material from previous weeks.
Begin: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Begin Chapter 3, More New Chords: Lesson 1, Minor Chords . Learn
Mid term Week 5: all material from first four weeks! All concepts from first three chapters!
Week 5 - Feb 10
1. This week, please continue to practice all chords and chord songs from first four weeks, including
3. Chapter 3, Lesson 2: Bluegrass Chords (p. 31); G and C chords.
1. Oh! Susanna, p. 20
2. Ch. 2, rests - Continue When The Saints Go Marching In, p. 21
3. Lesson 7, Eighth Notes (p. 22)
3. Lesson 8, Notes on the 4th String, p. 23: Old Joe Clark
5. Ode to Joy, p. 26
2. Cluck Old Hen, p. 26 - some tricky rhythms, so be sure to isolate measures, count through clapping, and use metronome
Week 6 - 7
Music 16B class activities
From Beginning Acoustice Guitar
Continue the blues in A, along with the A pentatonic minor scale, and the blues riffs that we began week 1. Practice trading solo and 12 bar chords for some time. Introduce "Pinch technique" on page 14 (Snyder book) - another way to play the 12 bar blues, this time in G.
Finger names: pima
Students should look ahead to Bridges on p. 31, both the arpeggio and the melody
Beginning Acoustic Guitar
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 7, Lesson 8: Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs