Meeting Notes - April 25, 2017
Christina Espinosa-Pieb – Chair
James Nguyen – Chair
Administrative Reps Espinosa-Pieb, Kandula, Lee-Wheat, Ranck, Ray
Classified Reps: Martinez, Lorna Maynard
Faculty Reps: Khanna, Leonard, Markus, Rick Maynard, Nguyen, Woodbury
Absent: Bryant, Trosper, Coriena Andy, Arya Suprora
Visitors Mallory Newell
Notes Approval – The notes from April 18, 2017 were approved.
As of today, De Anza’s enrollment is 5.7% down. It’s the largest decrease in 9-years. Espinosa-Pieb stressed that the college has to re-evaluate all programs and start a seriously conversation regarding enrollment. In the meantime, the college is planning to add some 6-week online sessions in late spring. Instructional deans were asked to make sure that faculty are trained in Canvas so they are prepared to teach online.
In spring quarter, IPBT will be working in groups reviewing programs. College catalogs will be distributed as a resource - 2 catalogs per team.
Mallory Newell & James Nguyen presented The Institutional Metrics and Enrollment Analysis to give committee more information and data that need to be under consideration during the review.
Enrollment Analysis Handouts -
The Institutional Metrics could be found on Institutional and Planning webpage on the left nav. under Educational Master Plan and Annual Updates.
- The team questioned if the Metrics goals are realistic? Some of the programs have been already contacted i.e., English, ESL, Math. The IPBT should expect to see this referenced in the Program Review.
- Standard = the rate set at its lowest level that the college would not want to drop below.
- Preliminary discussions about block scheduling across the campus; hybrid classes, 50% online; Friday classes;
- The quality of online classes is improving: success rate is 72% now compared to 4-years ago when the online classes success rate was only 65%
- Students are requesting more online classes
- Online faculty evaluation tool should be available in fall;
- Change “High income” to “not using Financial Aid “on Cluster Analysis Group handout.