General Meeting Information
Date: May 8,
Time: 4 - 5 p.m.
Location: ADM 109
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 4:00-4:05 p.m. Approval of Minutes - April 30, 2019 A
4:05-4:10 p.m. Scheduling of Viability I/D/A
4:10-4:30 p.m. Program Review Tool Viability I/D Newell 4:30-5:00 p.m. Program Review Document Review - Check in with groups and continue work A All
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
- Lorrie Ranck, Co-Chair
- Sam Bliss
- Randy Bryant
- Alicia Cortez
- Moaty Fayek
- Anita Muthyala-Kandula
- Thomas Ray
- Precious Gerardo
- Diana Alves de Lima (on PDL)
- Rich Booher
- Milena Grozeva
- Anu Khanna
- Rick Maynard
- Mary Pape, Co-Chair
Administrative reps: Cortez, Espinosa-Pieb, Fayek, Kandula, Ranck, Ray
Faculty reps: Khanna, R. Maynard, Nguyen, Pape, Woodbury
Classified reps: Bdzil, Gerardo, Leonard, L. Maynard
DASB reps: Brandi Madison, Ian Robertsson
Visitors: Randy Bryant, Mary Kay Englen, Dana Kennedy, Dawn Lee Tu,
Ethan Maneja (La Voz Staff Writer), Mallory Newell, Lisa Markus, Edmundo Norte, PE/Athletics visitors
Approval of notes
The notes from May 1, 2018 were approved with clarifications:
1) After a lengthy discussion the committee voted to remove 2 more vacant faculty positions instead of two vacant classified positions. The committee will re-rank the rest of the positions for a permanent reduction based on 9 vacant faculty positions on the list and any new retirements. Vacant classified positions will not be eliminated at this time and will remain unfilled.
2) The team voted to not send World languages to Viability until further review.
Update on budget – 1320 allocation reduction
- 2017-2018FY - 1320 allocation - $21,337,364.
- Espinosa-Pieb confirmed that $18.1M is the finalized 1320 (part-time teaching cost) for next year.
- 1320 reduction is not built to into main budget deficit.
- Viability committee will review all recommended IPBT programs.
- The final reduction, including, classified staff, faculty, instructional programs and etc. need to be identified and sent to Human Resources by November 1, 2018.
Discussion of Additional Faculty Ranking
Espinosa-Pieb informed the committee that only 8 out of the 19 faculty positions on the IPBT list are funded. This is because IPBT does not remove the positons that do not get hired; they are rolled over to the next year to be re-ranked.
Espinosa-Pieb announced 5 “new” retirements as of June, 2018. They are CIS, BUS, English, ESL, MATH.
The updated ranking sheet will consist of the 9 remaining faculty positions and the 5 “new” retirements (14 total).
The team will re-rank the 14 faculty positions and select 8 as a permanent reduction. The balance of positions (6) will go to next year’s hiring if funding permits.
Discussion of additional faculty ranking – postponed to the next meeting.
Continued discussion of programs
Due to a large number of visitors from PE/Athletics, the majority of the time was spent on the Athletic programs discussion and questions.
- Nguyen confirmed 2 hours of IPBT meeting next week, May 16, 2018.
- Meeting adjourn: 5:10 pm