General Meeting Information
Date: March 29,
Time: 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Location: DA MLC 233 Video Conf. Room
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 1:00 p.m. Review Agenda & Notes I/D Mieso/Robles 1:05 p.m. New Budget SSPBT Page I Mieso 1:10 p.m. DSPS Presentation I/D/A Shears 1:30 p.m. A & R /Assessment Presentation I/D/A Ward 2:00 p.m. Student Development Presentation
LeBleu-Burns 2:30 p.m. Review Revised Process & Budget Presentation Discussion
All 3:00 p.m. Adjourn
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
SSPBT Goals & Priorities 2017-18
- Integrated SSSP-Student Equity-BSI plan
- Accreditation, Self-Study, Enrollment Budget Update
- Pathways & Promises
- Title IX
Members: Avila, Booye, DASB, Doan, Espinosa-Pieb, Glapion, Guitron, Kirkpatrick, LeBleu-Burns, Mandy, Mieso (co-chair), Robles (co-chair), Shears, Shively, Ward, Wethington, White-Daniels
Attending Members: Booye, Glapion, Kirkpatrick, LeBleu-Burns, Mandy, Mieso, Robles, Shears, Shively, Ward, White-Daniels
Guests: La Donna Yumori-Kaku, Precious Gerardo, Hyon Chu Yi-Baker, and three students
There were no amendments to the notes and one to the agenda.
LeBleu-Burns requested that her presentation be moved up on the agenda since her guest needed to leave early. The agenda was adjusted so LeBleu-Burns could present first.
Student Development/EOPS Budget Presentation
- No welcome week activities for new students
- No staff to maintain operational and logistical assistance in support of student clubs.
- No DASB and ICC outreach activities during the New Student Parent Open House, New Student Orientations, ISP Orientations and other campus events.
- It was noted that the active student college life is what sets us apart from other colleges.
- Reduction in student engagement, student development and retention.
- Question was asked if there was any data regarding engagement and retention. The data
available is mainly focused on Instructional engagement in the classrooms.
- Question was asked if there were any DASB funds available. Currently, DASB is $90,000
down in their budget for next year.
Budget Reduction Request: $228,000
Budget Reduction Obtained: $126,245
- 1 FTE classified position, eliminate
- Move .12 FTE from fund 114 to fund 112
- Transfer .28 FTE credit to Counseling budget
DSPS Budget Presentation
- Compliance with ADA, ADA Amendments Act, Rehabilitation Act, and Title 5
- Recent change to funding formula requires additional college effort.
- If enrollment grows in the HOPE program, they will not be able to hire.
- Regarding the DSPS data presented, ADHD is now tracked separately;
it used to be counted in the “Other” category.
Budget Reduction Request: $240,000
Budget Reduction Obtained: $244,000
- 1 FTE vacant faculty position from DSS, eliminate
- 1 FTE vacant faculty position from HOPE, eliminate
Enrollment Services Budget Presentation
- Minimum 72 hours to get back to student emails and calls
- Longer lines, difficulty providing efficient customer service
- Closed full days on Fridays for processing paperwork
- Delay in processing Degree/Certifications
- Jeopardy of missing Associate Degree Transfer (ADT) deadlines
- Question was asked if we had any statistics from the last budget cuts to the A & R area.
There wasn’t any data available from the last budget cuts. They currently now track every
employee interaction using SARS.
- There is concern that the delay in responding to students may affect enrollment.
Budget Reduction Request: $550,000
Budget Reduction Obtained: $550,000
- 5.5 classified positions (vacant & TBD), eliminate
- Some B Budget
Mieso said that everything that has been presented would be summarized with the impacts highlighted and posted on the SSPBT Budget page. Some points that we still need to consider:
- Enrollment is still down
- The state could be changing program funding
- AB 705 will change basic skills and assessment
- Discussions will take place regarding non-credit classes
- Researching self-sustaining funding
The Student Services Budget moves forward with the SSPBT committee consensus and now will be reviewed by the Finance Office. For more information on the budget process and timeline, please check the SSPBT Budget page for more information.