General Meeting Information

Date: May 20, 2021
Time: 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Location: Online Mtg. held via Zoom*

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    1:30 p.m. Review Meeting Notes from May 6, 2021 I Booye/Mieso
    1:35 p.m. ACCJC Midterm Report Review
         - Overview[BROKEN LINK]
    I/D Mieso
    1:50 p.m. College Planning Committee Update I/D Booye
    2:00 p.m. Student Development Reflection Presentations I/D LeBleu-Burns
    2:45 p.m. Member & Program Updates I/D All
    2:55 p.m. Good of the Order I/D All
    3:00 p.m. Adjourn    

    *Please contact the admin for Zoom meeting information

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes


    Attending Members:  Booye (co-chair), Glapion, Kirkpatrick, Kobata, LeBleu-Burns, Mandy, Mieso (co-chair), Rafli (DASG), Shively, Tran (DASG)

    Guest:  Joandra Teja

    Meeting Items

    Minutes Approval

    There were no amendments to the previous meeting notes or to the agenda.

    ACCJC Midterm Report

    De Anza will be submitting a Midterm Report to the ACCJC in October as part of the seven-year accreditation cycle. The item will go to the College Council for approval on June 10th and any comments or feedback can be submitted to Mallory Newell by June 1st. The report is broken out into key areas:

    1. Plans arising from self-evaluation process – which are 6 areas which we identified for improvement in our self-evaluation report in 2017.
    2. Responses to 2 recommendations for improvement from ACCJC in 2017 – we report our progress on these two areas related to budget practices in light of declining enrollments.
    3. Reflections on our student learning outcomes process and progress on our institutional metrics.
    4. Reflections on our two focus projects from the self-evaluation report from 2017 in the areas of equity and communication around the planning and budget process.
    5. Fiscal report from the 2019-20 academic year.

    ACCJC Midterm Report

    College Planning Committee Update

    Booye gave an update from the College Planning Committee (CPC). The ACCJC Midterm Report was discussed and the Annual Governance Reflection Survey will be going out soon and is due by June 25th. The current planning cycle was discussed as well.

    It was decided to do the Program Review Reflection this year and the Comprehensive Program Review next year. However, after a discussion about alignment of the program review cycle with the accreditation cycle, the general consensus from the CPC was to not do the Comprehensive Program Review next year, which will also allow time for the completion of the review of the shared governance process. This would mean postponing the Comprehensive Program Review until the 2022-23 year. There was also discussion around having every program do a program review or alternating the program reviews amongst the areas over the review time period.

    • Mieso said the CAS work would continue for Student Services as planned but with an adjusted timeline.
    • LeBleu-Burns commented that the original program reviews were formulated for instructional services and were then later adapted for student services. CAS is more tailored to student services and will continue to proceed with the implementation.
      • In LeBleu-Burns' opinion, Program Reviews should be completed every year for many reasons that include:
        • Program reviews are meant to review the progress of the program, identify the gaps, see what needs improvement, etc.
        • Program reviews assist with planning, budgeting, and resource allocations.
        • It will look like we dropped the ball if we skip a year.
    • LeBleu-Burns also mentioned that the Accreditation Committee last time asked how we used SLO and Program Reviews for resource allocations.

    Shively mentioned that a separate Budget Committee was proposed by President Holmes at the last College Council and wondered if LeBleu-Burns had any thoughts.

    • LeBleu-Burns said that there tends to be a disconnect between the PBTs and more collaboration is needed. Information from the program reviews would still need to be taken to the Budget Committee for review.
      • Part of the Shared Governance Review process is to see how we can have a college-wide review, discussion, and decision-making regarding budgets.
      • She also mentioned that with the formation of so many committees, the same issues of working in silos, lack of communication, overlap of duties, etc. are many of the items that are currently under review.
        • Booye said many committees seem to be a duplication of effort and information is still not being reported out at times.
      • Mieso reported that at the next College Council meeting, the Vice President of Finance will discuss what the Budget Committee will look like.
      • Glapion said that we have had a College Budget Committee before and that this is not really new and the purpose of SLOs is to reinforce the need for capital and funds.
        • Mieso mentioned that the last committee wasn’t a decision-making body, that was delegated to the individual PBTs.

    LeBleu-Burns said the next couple of years is going to be critical with the Educational Master Plan and the Facilities Master Plan in development. Program Reviews are what give us the information on what is working, needed, be adjusted, or even discontinued.

    • Galoyan mentioned the Technology Master Plan is also in progress as well.
    • Glapion said that so much has changed this year and skipping next year would be about two years of change that is not reported or documented.

    Mieso and Booye will take the comments from the discussion today back to the College Planning Committee as feedback.

    • Mieso said that hopefully the Shared Governance Review process will make things more cohesive and a follow-up will be given at the next SSPBT meeting when available.

    Student Development Reflection Presentation

    Michele LeBleu-Burns presented the Student Development Reflection summary presentation that included the areas of Health Services, Psychological Services, EOPS/CARE, OTI, ICC, DASG, and Judicial Affairs.

    • Challenges:
      • Increased demand for services. (All)
      • Increased emotional, physical, and mental well-being concerns. (All)
      • Loss of revenue from in-person events such as the Flea Market. (Office of College Life)
    • Accomplishments:
      • Able to continue most services and programs without major disruptions. (All)
      • Continued collaboration between Student Health Services and campus partners in emergency plans and pandemic response planning. (Health Services)
      • Successfully coordinated with many different departments to run group therapy for underserved populations. (Psych Services)
      • Delivered computers to students who span both campuses and a variety of programs. (OTI & EOPS)
    • Pandemic impacts:
      • Increased mental health concerns and social isolation. (All)
      • Basic need insecurity. (All)
      • Lack of/decrease in student engagement and social interactions. (All)
    • Equity implications:
      • Many students lacked access to adequate/appropriate technology and/or internet access for remote learning.
      • Many students and their family members lost employment which caused struggles with meeting their basic needs.
      • Many students had difficulty with creating a space conducive to attending classes over zoom and studying due to crowded living conditions or unstable living conditions.
    • Innovative practices developed to address challenges:
      • The Office of College Life collaborated with Educational Technology Services (ETS) to create a digital student ID card accessible via MyPortal and the De Anza app for mobile devices.
      • The Office of College collaborated with ETS and the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) to provide digital bus passes through the EZfare app.
      • The CompTechS Program, which provides local companies with a socially responsible means of computer recycling, conducted Zoom training on how to refurbish and redeploy equipment which resulted in several students being hired as interns.
    • Future anticipated goals:
      • Develop tutoring and academic coaching services for students. (EOPS)
      • Restructuring the Heath Services Clinic to meet HIPAA privacy laws and infectious disease control.
    • Resource needs:
      • Additional program/department space upon return to campus. (EOPS, OTI, GSP, Health Services, Psychological Services)
      • Student Judicial Affairs requires additional staffing, funding and space to meet the demands of a rapidly increasing workload.
      • Increase Staffing in Psychological Services.

    Shively asked if the new software used for medical records online would monitor vaccinations?

    • LeBleu-Burns replied that a component can be implemented to track vaccinations. Some programs such as Nursing and ISP already require certain vaccinations. All student health records are HIPAA compliant.

    Full Presentation

    Member & Program Updates
    • Tran from DASG reported that an Environmental Career Panel event will take place on Friday, May 28th and the Fighting Anti-blackness Panel event will take place on Friday, June 4th.
      • The Mental Fitness Project followed by a mental health workshop will be held on Friday, June 11th from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
      • Rafli wanted to welcome our guest today, Joandra Teja, an incoming DASG member

    • Glapion reported from Academic Senate and Mallory Newell did a presentation on the ACCJC Midterm Report and a presentation on the Equity Inquiry survey that went out to students.
      • The Honors Program was also discussed following a presentation on the disproportionate enrollment in the program using data from the Office of Institutional Research.
      • Randy Bryant also presented on the topic of Credit by Exam (CBE) and proposed a change to the requirement that the student must “first successfully complete 15 units at De Anza.”

    • Kobata reported from Classified Senate. The last meeting was cancelled due to the Forums for the Vice Chancellor of Human Resources that were being held at the same time. We currently are celebrating Classified Professionals Week and the elections results will be announced the week of May 24th.

    • Galoyan reported from the Technology Committee and they have finalized 4 goals for the Technology Master Plan as follows:
      • Increase Overall Student Access to Technology for Learning and Services
      • Increase and Enhance Faculty and Staff Professional Development and Training
      • Work to Ensure Accessibility in Teaching
      • Enhance Communication and Collaboration with ETS to Achieve Evolving Priority College Objectives

    • Mandy said the 2021-22 FASFA data is coming in and by May 30th they should be up to date with all the applications that students began submitting last October for this next fiscal year. Financial Aid Award notifications are also being provided to students, both new and continuing.
      • The CalGrant interface to work with Banner is progressing with ETS.
      • The first phase of Scholarship reviews has almost been completed. Once those are done, Robin Latta from the Foundation and Mandy will begin the final review and awarding.

    • Mieso mentioned that the graduation website is up and to pass it on to students. This includes the student Grad Kit, Red Carpet Photo Op, and the Online Graduation Celebration Video.
      • The return-to-campus survey went out this week to students as well.

    Good of the Order

    Members did not have any statements or observations to note at this time.

Documents and Links

Back to Top