General Meeting Information
Date: June 6,
Time: 1:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 1:30-1:35 p.m. Welcome, Introductions and Updates I/D All 1:35-1:40 p.m. Approval of Minutes I/D/A All 1:40-1:50 p.m.
- Placement Online Explainer
- Other recent improvements
I/D Bailey 1:50 p.m-2:00 p.m.
- Curriculum Management System Search Update
- Professional Development Platform Search Update
I Ranck 2:00-2:30 p.m.
Tech Plan Updates
All 2:30-2:50 p.m.
- ETS Project Scheduling
- Online Education Group
Annual Governance Reflections
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
Present: Brandon Bailey, Brandon Gainer, Nazy Galoyan, David Garrido, Sri Lakshmanan, Joe
Moreau, Cheryl Owiesny, Mary Pape (co-chair), Lorrie Ranck, Iman Seale (notes), Marisa
Approval of Minutes
Minutes approved with typo correction.
Placement Online Explainer
Writer/editor Brandon Bailey, substituting for Harrell, presented the new online explainer tool to assist students with assessment. The step-by-step interactive flow chart helps students determine the best placement for themselves. Harrell developed the coding, while Bailey collaborated with Assessment supervisor Casie Wheat plus English and Math faculty.
Other recent improvements
- Bailey has developed comprehensive Career Training webpages
- Degree requirements are now drawn from central database, avoiding manual updates and the linking to or posting of outdated documents
- New “Our Counselors” navigational tool/web page launched to assist students with finding the right counselor.
Tech Plan Updates
Goal 1: Support ubiquitous, agile technology across the campus community
Promote the consolidation of technology functions to yield economies of scale and/or foster better communication
Pape noted that the recent web updates are a marker of progress with this objective. Moreau updated that feedback on the app has generally been very positive. Moreau and Spatafore agreed that it would be beneficial to review additional app analytics in the fall. Garrido noted that the Professional Development platform search is continuing and narrowing down.
Updated to: Assist with the next phase of Canvas trainings
Previously: Assist with the transition of the course management system from Catalyst to Canvas
Garrido reported that the first cohort of Online U is wrapping up and was successful. Heidi King is currently recruiting for the second cohort which will run July-December; faculty have already expressed interest.
Create a map for technology support
This objective is complete.
Goal 2: Teaching, learning and student engagement
Collaborate with Academic Senate, other partners on the development of open educational resources (OER)
Pape noted that low-cost materials are now more prevalent and publishers have been fairly cooperative too. Moreau added that OEI has added Canvas course templates to help faculty include OER in their courses.
Updated to: Assist as affordable and feasible in the organized provision and/or support of instructional technology in classrooms and programs
Previously: Assist as affordable and feasible in the organized provision of tablets and similar devices in classrooms and programs
Ongoing. Spatafore stated that this objective will need to be reevaluated with the Tech Plan update.
Guide the continual growth of course management system functionality to foster meaningful student-instructor and student-to-student communication
No major updates to report since February.
Collaborate with its accessibility expert and Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) to continually evaluate accessibility and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance across the website, learning management system and student information systems
Spatafore stated that Harrell continues to use RocketValidator and additional tools for accessibility checks.
Improve access to student and academic services via technology
Spatafore stated that Bailey’s report on the assessment tool and repository for degree sheets mark progress in this objective.
Goal 3: Deeper research into student success and subsequent responses
Collect and analyze data to guide the enrichment of the student experience through technology
Pape noted that Jabber functionality has improved and is working well. Moving forward, Moreau recommended IT surveys every couple years to get a better sense of student needs, expectations, etc. Based on the timeline of past surveys, another one should be sent out soon.
Research and work to implement device-independent technologies that improve student access and equity
Moreau and Spatafore agreed that lots of positive progress has been made but that this objective should be updated to better reflect where De Anza is now and make it easier to quantify/monitor.
Goal 4: Professional Development
Cultivate a culture in which technology training is understood to be beneficial for all employees.
Ranck noted continued work on the Professional Development platform.
Evaluate technology training needs and priorities.
Ranck reminded the group of the several requirements for the system: that it be used for SLO, program review, and integration with Canvas as well as catalog. The search has been narrowed down to two platforms. Action most likely won’t be taken to procure a new system until July or August due to the fiscal year closing.
The goal is for faculty and staff to ooking to track, see what’s available, get credit for PGA and more in a central location. Moreau recommended Cornerstone (pros include possible HR integration, free from the state). Ranck stated that implementation is at least a year away.
- The DSPS survey was recently released. Spatafore said it would be good for
Lakshmanan to share results and findings in the next meeting’s standing updates
- Galoyan mentioned there’s ongoing work with ETS on localizing certain pages. There’s also ongoing work with Banner 9 and SSB. Pape noted that the transition to Banner 9 was smooth. Galoyan also noted an upcoming meeting to discuss Canvas and Banner integration.
- Final ETAC meeting is next week to review for the year.
- Work has continued on a list of district objectives for 2019-20.
- Moreau stated that a communications manager has been incorporated in Banner; it’s
been licensed for a while but is now being put into production.
- There will be a new, dedicated support team for the colleges.
- Email and calendar are getting ready to be moved to Office 365 which will improve
functionality. It’s scheduled to launch before fall.
ETS Project Scheduling
- Grey discussed forthcoming updates to copy and printing services on campus.
Online Education Advisory Group
- Gainer stated that Online Advisory Group met to discuss updates. The suggestion was made that a separate guide that doesn’t look like the form would be helpful. Ranck also discussed some of the solutions and alternatives Online Ed has considered to make online learning more accessible for students.
Annual Governance Reflections
The Tech Committee participated in the annual governance reflection questionnaire.