General Meeting Information
Date: October 1,
Time: 1:30-3 p.m.
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 1:30-1:35 p.m. Welcome and introductions I/D Spatafore/Pape/All 1:35-1:40 p.m. Approval of minutes I/D/A All 1:40-1:50 p.m. Invitation to meeting/orientation with chair(s) I/D Spatafore/Pape/All 1:50-2:05 p.m. New proposal from current co-chairs I/D Spatafore/Pape 2:05-2:15 p.m.
Annual governance reflection (2019-20)
I Spatafore/Pape/All 2:15-2:20 p.m.
I All 2:20-2:30 p.m.
I Harrell 2:30-2:45 p.m.
Looking toward tech planning
I/D Spatafore/Pape/All 2:45-3 p.m.
- Banner Student
- ETS Project Scheduling
- Online Education Advisory Group
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
Anderson, Diaz, Gainer, Galoyan, Garrido, Grey, Harrell, Lakshmanan, Luciw, Moreau, Owiesny, Pape (co-chair), Rafli, Ranck, Seale (notes), Spatafore (co-chair), Srinivas
Welcome and introductions
The committee introduced themselves for the new DASB representatives, Kirana Rafli and Kishore Srinivas.
Approval of minutes
Minutes were approved.
Invitations to meeting/orientation with chairs
Pape expressed co-chairs’ availability to new DASB representatives for questions or orientation to the committee.
New proposal from current co-chairs
On behalf of co-chairs, Spatafore proposed addition of a classified professional tri-chair. Committee members expressed support for this proposal and inclusion of classified professional representation in the chairing of the committee.
Annual governance reflection
The annual governance reflection from last year was presented for the committee’s review.
Spatafore congratulated Gainer and the Online Education Center team for winning recent awards—Gainer for winning the Cupertino STAR Educator of the Year Award and Online Ed for winning the League for Innovation’s Innovation of the Year Award for their student and faculty resource hubs.
Harrell demonstrated the new Chat Cat feature which has replaced the manually staffed Quick Help tool. Harrell also previewed the new MyPortal announcement banners which have not launched yet. Harrell reviewed other website updates including the Annual Student Art Show, Virtual Graduation, Virtual Welcome Day and the Syl repository for syllabi (syl.deanza.edu).
Looking toward tech plan
The committee discussed the tech survey, to precede tech planning, and adapting it due to the circumstances of remote learning. Moreau stated that the survey will be a big topic at the next ETAC meeting and that he’s hoping Central Services and Foothill can use a similar or identical survey instrument. Moreau also suggested adding pandemic-related questions and questions related to equity. Spatafore suggested surveying either in mid-November (before Thanksgiving) or in January. Moreau agreed that surveying pre-Thanksgiving would be best. Spatafore requested that Harrell review the survey draft and prepare to make changes to reflect current circumstances. Spatafore asked for feedback from the student representatives. Rafli suggested asking about how to better serve students who do not have access to technology.
- Lakshmanan reported higher enrollment and that OTI is continuing to address technology needs by delivering laptops to students’ homes. Grey added that students are able to order devices from the Bookstore using Promise money.
- Galoyan discussed forthcoming updates to Banner, including improvements to the system’s efficiency with using student preferred names.
ETS Project Scheduling
- Grey noted that most multimedia refresh requests and other projects have slowed down. Grey also informed the committee that moving forward, the standard for computer refreshes will be laptops (with exceptions as needed).
Online Education Advisory Group
- The Online Education Advisory group will be scheduling a meeting soon to discuss their role and perhaps redefining their charge under current circumstances, as well as sending out a new call for membership.