General Meeting Information
Date: December 2,
Time: 1:30-3 p.m.
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 1:30-1:35 p.m. Welcome and introductions I/D All 1:35-1:40 p.m. Approval of minutes I/D/A All 1:40-2 p.m. Tech Plan updates/accomplishments I/D All 2-2:45 p.m. HyFlex classroom demonstration I/D Ed Breault, Dawn Lee, Bill Matsumoto 2:45-3 p.m.
- Banner Student
- ETS Project Scheduling
- Online Education Advisory Committee
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
Ed Breault (guest), Ray Brennan, Juan Diaz, Dave Garrido, Alex Harrell (tri-chair), Shri Lakshmanan, Dawn Lee (guest), Bill Matsumoto (guest), Cheryl Owiesny, Mary Pape (tri-chair), Iman Seale (notes)
Approval of minutes
The November minutes were approved.
Tech Plan updates/accomplishments
Goal Description Accomplishments Goal 1: Increase Overall Student Access to Technology for Learning and Services Includes but not limited to the provision of laptops for students, and other devices as necessary; software and software as a service (SAAS) as appropriate, both required and that would enhance the student experience; continuous technical improvement of communications resources including the website, app and portal; and classroom equipment to support student learning and engagement in evolving modalities, with classroom needs documented through updated classroom standards, program review and the Facilities Condition Assessment
- Zoom spaces for students on campus have been established and announced. (Pape)
- The introduction of HyFlex classrooms is rolling out. HyFlex technology is being utilized for the trainings themselves as participants can attend virtually. (Pape)
- The Guided Pathways Villages Canvas shells are live and are being used regularly to connect with students. (Harrell)
Goal 2: Increase and Enhance Faculty and Staff Professional Development and Training Includes but not limited to robust training and related communication about the trainings based on faculty and classified professional feedback, including to holistically improve online pedagogy and pedagogy in the use of technology tools, including in evolving modalities and accessibility training
- After Harrell brought up HyFlex training, Breault noted that the first official cohort meeting is coming up but that training sessions have been ongoing for anyone interested.
Goal 3: Continue Work to Ensure Accessibility Includes but not limited to implementation of SAAS to support an equitable teaching and learning environment; researching strategies and emerging technologies and implementing as appropriate; ongoing ensuring of accessibility in instructional and communications tools
- SensusAccess tile recently went live in MyPortal with Canvas integration anticipated soon. The tile will appear to users as "Change Format ADA." (Harrell, Lakshmanan)
- A recommendation on the priotirization of hiring a faculty coordinator of equity and online learning is set to go before College Council later in the day. (Pape)
- ETAC is planning to include accessibility as part of the district Tech Plan. (Harrell)
Goal 4: Enhance Communication and Collaboration with ETS to Achieve Evolving Priority College Objectives
Strategy to include monthly small-group meetings of Tech Committee and ETS leadership, with updates as requested, on college-identified priorities including but not limited to
- Ubiquitous, functioning Wi-Fi, including on Athletics fields and in parking lots
- Upgraded technology for employees, including shorter personal technology refresh cycle of three years, as appropriate
- Improving communication, including of system and software availability and changes
- Development and support of peripheral loan program to address additional needs, such as doc cams, iPads for whiteboards, etc.
- College-identified projects that
- Directly affect student success or the student experience, particularly timely requests via expert administrators
- Address regulatory issues
- System for generating report-outs when students have completed requirements for a certificate or degree is almost complete. There will also be the ability to see which students are close to completing a certificate or degree. Harrell noted that this feature will be helpful in encouraging students who hadn't considered applying for a certificate or degree to do so if they're close to completing the requirements anyway. Pape added that it is possible eventually for degrees and certificates to automatically be awarded but this is still early in the exploration phase. (Pape)
- The Bookstore has been working on integration of financial aid on the new website and anticipate that going through around Dec. 12 or 13. (Harrell)
Owiesny asked about open hours for the Zoom spaces. Garrido also asked about the nature of the spaces and whether they are intended to be used more as quiet study spaces or for students to actively be speaking and interacting in Zoom meetings. Pape stated that the expectation is for students to use the spaces for Zoom meetings and use headsets in these areas. Pape noted that eventually the goal is for each Village to have dedicated areas with adjacent spaces for Zoom, and that if students did not have headsets when using these spaces, they would be provided.
HyFlex classroom demonstration
Guests Ed Breault, Dawn Lee and Bill Matsumoto conducted a demonstration of the HyFlex classroom. Breault was physically in the classroom and demonstrated the many features available in real time.
- SensusAccess is now available in MyPortal. (Harrell)
- HyFlex classroom technology improves the availability of different modalities for students, and facilitates greater accessibility through clear audio for transcription and captioning purposes, for example.
- Lately, the focus has been on implementing Self-Service Banner 9 and eventual transition to the Next Generation System (NGS). (Harrell)
- There have been improved fraud detection and prevention efforts for new applicants to reduce incidents of financial aid fraud. (Harrell)
ETS and ETS Project Scheduling
- This item was deferred.
Online Education Advisory Committee
- There were no updates to report.