De Anza College admits anyone with a high school or general education diploma (GED), a proficiency certificate, or who is at least 18 years old.

High school students in grades 9-12 may attend De Anza if they have submitted a permission form signed by their high school principal and parent or guardian. High school students who do not provide required documents will be dropped from their courses. Visit the Dual Enrollment webpage for more information.

Important Information

California Residents

Students who have established California residency for at least one year prior to the term in which they wish to enroll and have met residency conditions required by state regulations may enroll as California residents for tuition purposes.


California residents and residents of other states or territories who have not resided in the state for one year prior to the term in which they wish to enroll, must pay nonresident tuition when attending De Anza.

Students holding various visas, or undocumented or out-of-status immigrants, may not establish residency and must pay nonresident tuition when enrolling at De  Anza. Other nonresidents may be able to establish residency if they meet the requirements of California Education Code § 68062. Still others may be exempted from paying nonresident fees through AB 540 eligibility (§ 68130.5), which allows certain nonresident students who have attended a California high school for three years and earned a diploma or equivalent to be charged resident fees. (Students with nonstudent visas or who are out of status or undocumented should call the Admissions and Records Office at 408.864.8722 to determine residency and discuss other attendance eligibility equirements.)

Students on F, J or M visas attending another college, but who wish to take a class at De Anza, must submit an official letter from the host college issuing their I-20. This letter should state the student’s standing, confirm full-time status, and provide authorization for the student to take specific De Anza classes.

The Foothill-De Anza District uses CCCApply as its admissions application. This application is very strict about meeting state residency requirements and many applicants are initially given non-resident status based on application answers. Applicants who believe they meet residency requirements need to complete a Residency Reclassification form and provide state-approved documentation for review within two weeks of a new quarter.

Military Status

Students seeking residency eligibility based on military active duty status, military dependent status or other military considerations, should contact the Veteran Services office at 408.864.8230 for specific eligibility criteria.

Back to Top