New Student Orientation
When you participate in orientation, you will get help completing an abbreviated educational plan for your first one or two quarters. These are important steps in qualifying for priority registration and making the most of your time at De Anza.
We recommend completing the orientation before you make an appointment with a counselor, since the orientation program will answer many of your initial questions about classes, ed plans and related topics.
- Before you start working on your abbreviated ed plan, we also recommend that you consult these helpful step-by-step instructions.
- As soon as you complete orientation and other necessary steps, you will qualify for priority enrollment for the following quarter.
- You must apply for admission first, in order to obtain your student identification number – known as a campuswide ID or CWID – which you need to sign up for orientation.
- We also recommend checking your placement and completing the assessment process before you take the orientation program.
The self-paced course lets you complete orientation on your own schedule, using the Canvas online learning system. Here's how it works:
Learn About Self-Paced Orientation
This online orientation is self-paced and can be completed in one sitting or multiple sittings. It is presented as a course on the Canvas online learning system.
There is no charge to enroll in the course, but you will need your eight-digit De Anza student identification number, also known as a campuswide ID or CWID, to log in. (You'll find your CWID in the email you receive from De Anza after you apply for admission.)
- Go to the Canvas site at https://deanza.instructure.com/enroll/L3YLEM
- Log in with your MyPortal credentials (see note above)
- Click the "Enroll in Course" button to register for Online Orientation
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the orientation
- Don't forget to click the link for an appointment to get help with your educational plan!
Some Additional Notes
- If you are logging in to the online orientation program for the first time and you see a message that says "Canvas doesn't have an account" for your CWID, please be patient. There may be a brief delay in creating your account. If you are still unable to access the online orientation after two days, please send an email with your name and CWID to Erika Flores in the Office of Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any other difficulties accessing the online orientation, and you received your CWID after April 2017, please contact the Office of Outreach at 408.864.8327 or email@example.com.
- If you are having difficulty and you received your CWID before April 2017, please contact the Online Education office at 408.864.8969 or firstname.lastname@example.org – and be sure to include your CWID in your message.
The sooner you complete orientation and other required steps, the sooner you will qualify for priority registration.