Mac OS 13.0 Ventura Conflict
The brand new MacOS version 13.0 Ventura is not yet fully compatible with Zoom. It is recommended that you do not update your Mac to Ventura yet. If your Mac does have Ventura and the Zoom app is working, do not further update your Zoom app from the version you currently have installed or the Zoom app may cease to function. You can read more detail on Zoom compatibility with MacOS 13.0 Ventura.
IMPORTANT: Update Your Zoom App Today
This weekend Zoom is scheduled to begin enforcing a requirement that Zoom apps be updated to at least a minimum version. Starting November 5, that will require version 5.8.6 or higher on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android. If your computer or phone has an older version, you must update it now.
For details on how to make sure your Zoom app is up-to-date, see the Keep Your Zoom Client Up to Date section below. If you attempt to start or join a Zoom meeting and are prompted to update your Zoom app, please do so. If you are unable to update your Zoom app immediately and are given the opportunity to join through the web client, take that option and update your Zoom app as soon as possible.
Zoom will require a new minimum version every 3 months (the first weekend of February, May, August, and November). You can see the upcoming requirement on the Zoom Software Quarterly Lifecycle Policy page.
Recording of Zoom Basics Workshop
Recording of Zoom Office Hours with Canvas Appointments Workshop
Schedule Zoom Meetings Outside of Canvas
Need an account? An account should be automatically created if you are an employee when you click on the Zoom tile in MyPortal.
Schedule Zoom Meetings Within Canvas
The ConferZoom link in your course left navigation is now gone. To establish your connection to Zoom from within Canvas:
- Go to your course.
- Click Settings in Course Navigation.
- Click the Navigation tab at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to the Disabled list and find Zoom. Click the three vertical dots to the right of the name and select Enable.
- Update/Save your settings.
- Click Home in your Course Navigation. Zoom should now appear in your Course Navigation menu.
To Schedule Meetings:
- Click Zoom in your Course Navigation.
- Your first time using Zoom, you will be asked to Authorize. Click Authorize and Zoom should find your account based on your fhda email.
- You can now schedule meetings by clicking the Schedule A New Meeting button. These meetings will be for your class only, and registered students will be able to access your scheduled meetings.
- Scheduled meetings will appear when students click on Zoom in your course navigation. They will also appear in the student To Do list and in your course calendar.
- If you previously used the Appointment feature in ConferZoom, please see the Scheduling Zoom Appointments video on the right.
Starting Scheduled Meetings from Within Canvas: You can click Zoom in your course and see a list of your scheduled meetings. Click Start to begin a meeting. The first time you click Start, you may be prompted to install the Zoom app on your computer again. Follow the onscreen prompts.
Recordings: Students will be able to access recordings of your Zoom sessions via the Zoom link in their course navigation if you choose to record to the cloud.
Attendance: Go to https://fhda-edu.zoom.us, log in and click Reports on the left to access Attendance reports.
Link Previous Recordings
If you have previous Cloud Recordings from Zoom, you will need to change the link from https://cccconfer.zoom.us.... to https://fhda-edu.zoom.us...
View New Recordings
You can access your new recordings the same way you have in the past - either through your account at fhda-edu.zoom.us or via Canvas for recordings specific to that course.
Use Zoom Within Outlook
Previous Users of the Zoom Add-In
If the Zoom Add-In is not working properly in your Outlook Calendar:
- Start a new meeting and click the Zoom icon.
- Select Settings.
- Select Sign Out, then Sign Back In
- Type fhda-edu for the domain, then entire your MyPortal credentials when prompted.
- Add a Zoom meeting to your appointment. The new link should start with https://fhda-edu.zoom...
New Users Who Want to Enable the Zoom Add-In
- Go to your Outlook Calendar and double click anywhere in your calendar to start a new meeting.
- Click the three horizontal dots in the upper right area of the window and select Get Add-Ins.
- Search for Zoom in the search bar and select Zoom for Outlook.
- Log in with SSO.
- Type fhda-edu for the domain, then entire your MyPortal credentials when prompted.
- Zoom should now appear in your New Meeting windows. You can click the icon and add Zoom meetings to your calendar invites.
New Zoom Accounts
All active FHDA employees have access to a licensed Zoom account that allows for meetings of unlimited length with up to 300 participants.
If you are a new employee who does not yet have a Zoom account, you can create one in a few simple steps!
- Log into MyPortal
- Click on the Zoom tile. If you don't see the Zoom tile, you can search for it.
- Your account will be auto-generated and authenticated.
- You can continue to access your Profile and Create meetings by clicking on the Zoom tile in MyPortal. Or, you can log in directly at https://fhda-edu.zoom.us Click Sign In and you will be brought to our Single Sign On screen where you can log in with your MyPortal credentials.
Issues with account creation? Please email email@example.com
Keep Your Zoom Client Up to Date
On your computer there is a Zoom.Us application/client. This is typically found in your Applications folder.
You should always be signed into Zoom with SSO (Single Sign On) and make sure your Zoom App/Client is up to date.
Sign in with SSO:
If you're signed in with SSO, you should see your profile picture and your fhda email with the word licensed in the upper right corner after opening the Zoom.Us App/Client.
If you do not see your profile picture and your name/fhda email when you click on that picture, you are likely not signed in with SSO. To sign in:
- Click on your profile picture/initials in the upper right corner of the Zoom client window.
- Select Sign Out from the menu that appears.
- A window will open. Select Sign in with SSO in this window.
- You will be prompted to insert our domain. Our domain is fhda-edu
- A web browser window will open and you will be prompted to input your MyPortal Credentials.
CHECK FOR UPDATES
We encourage you to check for updates regularly.
- Open the Zoom.Us app/client on your computer.
- Click your profile picture/initials in the upper right corner.
- Select Check for Updates in the menu that appears.
Download & Manage Zoom Cloud Recordings
Step 1: Download from Zoom
- Go to https://fhda-edu.zoom.us and click Sign In.
- Enter your MyPortal credentials.
- Click Recordings on the left side of your screen.
- You can entire specific dates to search or scroll to find the recording you want to
- Click the name of the recording you want to download.
- In the window that appears, click the Download button. This will download all files
associated with the recording, including the audio transcript. You may want this file
to use as your captioning file.
Step 2: Store Your Recordings for Sharing
You can store your videos in permanent cloud storage:
- Canvas Studio - Recommended for instructors who share videos in their Canvas classes and for whom
auto-captioning or the Zoom caption file will work.
Upload Video to Studio
Add or Upload Captions
Share Studio Videos in Canvas
- 3CMedia - Recommended for instructors who need professional captioning (offered on a limited
basis) or for instructors who need to share their videos outside of their FHDA classes.
You will need an account and should use your fhda email when signing up
Register for a 3CMedia Account
Share Videos in Canvas
- Office 365/One Drive - Recommended for non-instructioinal videos that may be shared on websites. First,
access Office 365 via MyPortal and click on OneDrive. You will want to upload the
MP4 of your video that includes the Audio Transcript. You should not upload/share
videos that don't have captioning/audio transcripts.
Share Videos/Get a Share Link
Step 3: Update Links to Videos in Canvas/On Your Website
If you previously shared your Cloud Recordings in Canvas or on a Website, you will need to update the links using the Sharing Guides above.
Please come to an Open Lab. Dates and times are listed under the Open Labs tab on our Faculty Resource Hub.
Preserve Your Zoom Cloud Recordings
A recent message stated that Zoom recordings made prior to August 15th would be deleted per the State Chancellor’s Office. We have now received an update that this message was intended for other Zoom users across the state, and does not apply to Foothill-De Anza as we moved to a subaccount in August 2020. Your Zoom recordings will not be deleted on March 8.
However, we are limited in the amount of storage we have available to store recordings. We strongly encourage you to take some time in the coming months to do some “Spring cleaning” and delete any archived recordings that you will not be using.
"Unauthorized, session has expired" Error
Recently Firefox and Chrome have tightened security and that is causing problems for some people.
If the meeting host can't start the meeting through Canvas, they should be able to do it by logging into MyPortal, going to Apps, clicking on the Zoom app, finding the meeting, and starting the meeting from there. Getting the meeting link and pasting it into a browser should also allow the host to start the meeting. Pasting the meeting link directly in a browser URL field may also work for students instead of accessing the meeting through Canvas. Some have had success accessing meetings through a mobile device when getting the unauthorized message on a computer.
If you are getting the Unauthorized error only in Firefox, you might try going to the Firefox Preferences, then Security and Privacy, and setting the Enhanced Tracking Protection to Standard if it is on Strict to see if that helps. If you click on the little shield icon just to the left of the URL at the top of the browser and it says "Enhanced Tracking Protection is ON for this site," you might try turning that off. If you're using a private window, try using a regular one.
Be sure to log out of Canvas and Zoom before you close the browser windows.
Also, make sure that you are keeping web browsers and the Zoom app up-to-date. To update the Zoom app, see "Keep Your Zoom Client Up to Date" above.
Enable Camera, Mic, Screen Share on Mac
If you are blocked from sharing your screen and prompted to enable your camera, microphone and/or screen sharing on your Mac, follow these instructions for Granting macOS permissions for the Zoom client.
FHDA District Zoom Support
Contact FHDA IT services (ETS) Zoom support for questions about setting up new accounts and upgrading basic accounts to licensed educational accounts. The website above also has links to guides, but see below for answers about Zoom features.
De Anza Zoom Student Support
If a student has a question about Zoom, the De Anza Library Computer Lab tech support staff may be able to help:
CCC TechConnect Zoom Faculty Support
The California Community Colleges' state-wide tech support office, TechConnect can often answer questions about specific Zoom features:
To contact a person at TechConnect, visit their support page:
Zoom Product Support (from Zoom.us)
The Zoom corporate web site has many guide pages and a search tool:
De Anza Zoom Faculty Support
Visit an Open Lab if you want live assistance. Open Labs can be found in the Canvas Calendar. Make sure the Canvas Certification Training feed is checked for your calendar view to see the dates. Click on a date to get the Zoom link.