Study Abroad in Summer 2019
Earn up to 14 units of college credit while touring the Philippines with fellow students and instructors from De Anza.
Theme for 2019: “Whose Land Is It?”
The 2019 Study Abroad program explores the northern region of the Philippines, while touching on multiple sectors of society including students, workers, and indigenous people.
Students will experience life at the prestigious University of the Philippines Diliman – the “U.C. Berkeley of the Philippines” – and participated in key cultural exchanges with student groups. They will also
- Visit key sites of Philippine-Spanish colonial history in Intramuros, the "walled city" within modern Manila
- Integrate with the working class in Payatas, a barangay in Quezon City
- Traverse the rural and agricultural landscape of Banaue
- Visit major commercial areas like the Mall of Asia
- Learn about the U.S. military presence and history at Clark Air Force Base.
- EWRT 1A: Composition and Reading
- EWRT 1B: Reading, Writing and Research
- ELIT 10: Introduction to Fiction
- ELIT 22: Mythology and Folklore
- ELIT 24: Asian Pacific American Literature
- HUMA 10: Human Sexuality
- HUMA 20: Life Skills for Higher Education
- HUMA 30: Understanding and Managing Stress
- CLP 75: College Major and Career Options
- View a slide presentation with more information about the trip.
Highlights From Last Year's Trip
The De Anza Study Abroad program went to Vietnam in 2018. You can see many highlights of last year's trip in this video made by student trip participant Binh Kien.