Topic I: Course Catalog Information

Effective Quarter, Year, Title

Requisites

Formerly

Repeatability

Hours

Also Listed As

Description

The information you enter in Topic I includes basic course information, such as the course’s department, number, units, grading, prerequisites, hours, and repeatability.

Note: You can stop and save your work at any time throughout the editing process by clicking the [Save Changes] button at the bottom of the screen.

Your information from Topic I is available both online, in the printed course catalog, and in the quarterly class schedule.

Accuracy is important: be sure to complete each field.

Effective Quarter, Year, Title

By documenting the course’s year, you designate the year the course outline is effective.

To edit the course’s information:

1. Click on the [E] link next to the desired course. course info
  2. Click on the [edit] link next to the “I. Catalog Information & SLOAC Management” heading. edit info
  3. Use the drop-down menus to edit:
    • Course department
    • Course number
    • Degree application status
    • Credit status
    • GE status
    • Grading technique
    • Effective year
  4. Enter the course’s title into the title text box.course title

Requisites

Requisites are courses or experience De Anza requires before a student may take a course. You should complete the course requisites field only if your course has a prerequisite, co-requisite, and/or advisory.

Note
Do not abbreviate course descriptions you enter throughout Topic I.

Do not abbreviate in this field: use complete words.

You may delete any unwanted information from the text box before you begin adding new information by highlighting the text and clicking the [Delete] button on your keyboard or by clicking on the [Clear] button.

To edit the course’s requisite field:

1. Select the desired requisite button (prerequisite, co-requisite, or advisory).
  2. Select the desired requisite course from the drop-down menu if it is a standard requisite, such as EWRT or MATH.
  3. Type the requisite courses in the text box if they are not standard requisites.requisites

Formerly

You should complete this field only if your course has had a course number change.

Input your full statement with parenthesis on both sides and starting “Formerly…”. Do not abbreviate in this field.formerly

Repeatability

You should complete this field only if your course meets Title V and/or De Anza College repeatability guidelines.

Input full repeatability statement with parenthesis on both sides of the statement. Do not abbreviate in this field.repeatability

You can use the drop-down menu to use pre-selected statements, such as lecture, lab, and software.

Hours

Enter the number of lecture, lecture-laboratory, and/or laboratory hours in this field.

Do not use numerical values: spell out notations. hours

Also Listed As

You should complete this field if your course is also cross-listed with another course.

Input full statement with parenthesis on both sides and starting “Also listed as…”. also listed as

Description

Input a brief description of your course, stating to the student or other institutions the course's key content areas. You should be descriptive and specific in this field.

Do not include information about your teaching methods and procedures not directly related to the course’s content.

Avoid using words and phrases such as "This course...", "Introduction to...", or "Survey of..."

If you want to include background courses or experiences (not requisites or advisories), you can list them in the description.description

After you have completed the course description, click the [Save Changes] button at the bottom of the screen.

Click on the [Edit View] link at the top of the page to return to the course outline’s Edit View page.