Customized Academic Support (CAS)
This program supports students taking English Writing 200, Language Arts 200 and/or Reading 200 with flexible, personalized options. CAS is a required homework assignment for all students in these classes (EWRT 200 or READ 200 requires four hours of verified CAS activities. LART 200 requires six hours).
Option 1: Small Group Learning Modules
Verbs Module - four 50-minute sessions, once per week, starting week 5
Vocabulary Module - four 50-minute sessions, once per week, starting week 5
Option 2: Weekly, Drop-in, or Individual Tutoring sessions in writing and/or reading
Sign up early for one-to-one peer tutoring at a set time each week.
Or, drop in for peer tutoring. First come, first served--at the WRC's front desk in ATC 309.
Or, COMING SOON, schedule an Individual Tutoring Appointment! One week in advance, schedule an appointment for 30 minutes with a tutor, up to 2 sessions per week. Check this webpage for more info soon!
Option 3: Directed Learning Activities (DLAs)
DLAs are worksheet packets on writing and reading topics. Pick up a packet in the WRC, or print and complete a DLA now. Then, bring the completed DLA to the WRC during weeks 2 through 11 to review your answers/questions with a tutor.
- Creating Dynamic Thesis Statements
- Effective Body Paragraphs (PIE version)
- Effective Body Paragraphs (MEAL version)
- Keys to Success in Summary Writing
- Avoiding Fragments and Run On Sentences (Version A)
- Avoiding Fragments and Run On Sentences (Version B)
- Get the Tense Right: Secrets of Verb Tense in Academic Writing
- Subjects and Verbs: The Art of Agreement
- Active Reading: Mark Up Those Texts
- Coming Attractions: How to Preview a Text
- Learning the Elements of Fiction
- Making Sense of Reading: How to Locate Main Idea/Claim in a Text
Option 4: Academic Skills Workshops
These small group, one-time workshops will increase your writing, reading, and study skills. Academic Skills and writing/reading topics are offered during weeks 4 through 8 of the fall, winter, and spring quarters. Check the Workshop webpage for the schedule. Bring your CAS menu to the workshop to get credit for attendance.