Classical Guitar Page
Music 14A, Classical Guitar I
- Did you miss a class? Go to Music 14A schedule
- Upcoming Guitar Events
- Packet 2 : Note Speller 2, Reading on the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth Strings, Banana Boat Song
- How to Practice
- Buying a beginning-level instrument
- Music 14 Concert Report Sample
- Music 14 Master Class Report Sample
- staff paper
- The Spider
- Natural notes tab
- Beginning arpeggios:
Music 14B/CD Classical Guitar II/III/IV
- Fall 09 Recital Photos
- Practice Log
- The Spider
- Spanish Romance Starter Kit
- Guitar at Sight p. 24-26
- Guitar at Sight p. 32&34
- staff paper
For Guitarists planning to transfer to SJSU: Audition information from Patrick Francis:
- Students should prepare 10 minutes of rep. of different style periods: etudes, short pieces, etc., and major and minor scales. It's pretty open...
- The highest incoming transfers can be placed is 2nd semester sophomore (for instrumental lessons). But this assumes that they will take a jr. qualifying exam after one semester of lessons. The jr. qualifying exam is a 20 minute (minimum) jury where the student performs rep., sightreads, and may be asked to play scales and arpeggios - basically to demonstrate proficiency on the the instrument. If they're playing Villa-Lobos Etudes or Preludes or larger scale pieces comfortably, this exam shouldn't pose a tremendous hurdle.
- ...if the student is going to be at sjsu for longer than two years, they might actually benefit from being placed lower so that they are eligible to receive more semesters of lessons while they are at the school."
Resources and links
- Restringing your Classical Guitar: a Youtube video. Follow the instructions, then Ron can inspect your work and give feedback
- Note-reading drill from emusictheory.com (check out other useful materials at this site!)
- Help understanding chord progressions
- Online metronome
- A link to a more fancy metronome program you can download
- Delcamp classical guitar site. Music, history, discussion boards. A great resource.
- The Guitar School. Editions and new compositions by Thor Eythorsson. A great resource for legal sheet music downloads.
- Guitar Press sheet music. This is a free sheet music site; while I encourage you to download legal music, be aware that many titles are probably copyrighted, probably illegal for the site to have posted them. I always encourage you to build your libraries with legitimately published, and purchased music.
- Help for the prevention of repetitive stress injuries (RSI and carpal tunnel syndrome). http://www.will-harris.com/yogaindex.html
- Another Sheet music archive (19th-century guitar music)
- "Spider"-like left-hand exercises--Demonstration by Kevin Gallagher
- Alice Artzt discusses right-hand technique