Studying French at De Anza College is a great way to
- Develop valuable career skills
- Expand your access to careers in France and the French-speaking world
- Engage with the French community and communicate better in your global travels
The French Department welcomes students of all abilities. Our courses enable you to accelerate your learning in an environment that fosters collaboration, communication and open dialogue to help you learn in a structured way.
Already Know Some French?You may be eligible to skip certain lower-level courses. Visit the prerequisite clearance webpage to learn more.
Plan Your Progress
We offer several quarter-long French courses that build practical communication skills – reading, writing, listening and speaking – in the French language.
|Fall 2020||Winter 2021||Spring 2021|
|FREN 1: Elementary French (first quarter)||FREN 1: Elementary French (first quarter)||FREN 1: Elementary French (first quarter)|
|FREN 2: Elementary French (second quarter)||FREN 3: Elementary French (third quarter)|
- We currently do not offer FREN 4, FREN 5 or FREN 6
- For detailed course descriptions, visit our Course Information webpage
- Check classes, times and instructors for each quarter by consulting the online class schedule
World Language Prerequisite Form
If you have studied a language at another institution, to accurately assess your past instruction (and support your success in further French language study), we require a World Languages prerequisite clearance to register in FREN 2.
Please follow these general rules to decide which course level is best for you.
- One year of high school language is equal to one quarter of De Anza language. For example, if you took French 1 and 2 in high school, you can continue with French 3 at De Anza.
- Review the French course catalog and current schedule of classes.
- See our Intercultural/International Studies Division World Languages Page for more information about taking a language class at De Anza.