Shared Governance Review
De Anza's College Council voted in June 2020 to begin a collegewide review of shared goverance teams and structure, with a focus on equity and inclusion.
Update on Governance
At the College Council retreat held on Oct. 21, 2022, a decision was made to move forward with implementation of the Program Allocation Committee (PAC) that was proposed by the Shared Governance Task Force. An implementation plan is being developed. The three Planning and Budget teams (PBTs) will continue to operate in the interim.
Proposal to College Council
The Shared Governance Task Force presented an updated proposal to College Council on March 17, 2022.
Here are some earlier proposals and presentations:
- View the Jan. 28, 2022 proposal (presented at campuswide Town Hall on Feb. 16, 2022)
- View the Nov. 15, 2021 proposal
- View the Oct. 28, 2021 presentation to College Council
Fall 2021 – Winter 2022: Timeline
The Shared Governance Task Force established the following schedule for giving presentations and gathering feedback on the new shared governance proposal posted above. (Click each box for details.)
College Council Presentations
- Draft plan presented on Oct. 28, 2021
- Monthly updates beginning in November 2021
- Final presentation (for approval)
Governance Group Presentations
- Classified Senate: Wednesday, Nov. 9
- Academic Senate: Monday, Nov. 15
- Student Services Planning and Budget Team: Thursday, Dec. 2
- De Anza Student Government: Wednesday, Jan. 12
- Administrative Planning and Budget Team: Tuesday, Jan. 25
- Campus Facilities Tuesday, Feb. 1
- Instructional Planning and Budget Team
- Dean's Meeting
In September 2021, the Shared Governance Task Force prepared an updated work plan and slides summarizing the work completed to date and the next steps planned for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The collegewide Shared Governance Review Task Force held its first meeting on March 25. Here are the representatives on the task force.
- Beniam Gebrat
- Kimberly Lam
- Tracy Chung-Tabangcura
- Keri Kirkpatrick
- Scott Olsen
- Laureen Balducci
- Jennifer Mahato
- Eric Mendoza
- Mayra Cruz
- Melinda Hughes
- So Kam Lee
- Jim Nguyen
- Mary Pape
- Mylinh Pham
- Tim Shively
January 2021: Collegiality in Action Workshop
De Anza invited two experts on the subject of shared governance in California to give a webinar for members of the college community – including classified professionals, faculty, administrators and interested students – during a special College Council meeting on Jan. 28, 2021.
The webinar, entitled "Collegiality in Action: Effective Participation Fundamentals," was presented by
- Larry Galizio, president of the Community College League of California
- Dolores Davison, president of the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges
If you missed the session or would like a review, the slides are available for download here.
October 2020: Collegewide Survey Responses
All faculty members, classified professionals and administrators were invited to complete a survey during a two-week period in October 2020, answering questions about
- What works and does not work with current governance groups and processes
- How governance groups and processes would ideally be structured, and how these would work in practice
- How members of governance groups should be selected.
Click the yellow button to view a document containing both a summary and the complete survey responses.
Summer 2020: Governance Group Surveys
As a first step in the collegewide review, President Holmes invited all governance groups to complete a similar survey in July and August 2020, seeking their input on the existing governance structure and processes, as well as ways to improve it.
Click each link below to view the survey responses submitted by these groups