For Active Service Members
Tuition Assistance (or TA) can pay up to 100% of tuition costs for active members of the U.S. military. TA is offered by the Department of Defense for service members who enroll in off-duty education programs for professional or personal development.
Service members must first contact their military service branch to obtain approval to use their tuition assistance benefits.
Below you'll find a list of websites with specific information about applying for Tuition Assistance from your military service branch.
- Scroll further down for more information about our Tuition Assistance policies.
- You can also check this Points of Contact list for services at De Anza
- Read more about
In compliance with Department of Defense policy, De Anza College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least 60% of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military service branch.
Here is the college schedule for the return of unearned TA funds to the military service branch, based on when the student withdraws from a 12-week course.
- Before and during the first week: 100% return
- During the second week: 90% return
- During the third or fourth week: 80% return
- During the fifth week: 70% return
- During the sixth week: 50% return
- During the seventh week: 40% return (60% of course is completed)
- During the eighth through 12th week: no funds returned
- In-state residents: $31 per quarter hour
- Out-of-state residents: $205 per quarter hour