Student Working Advisory Group:
Advancing Equity Through Diverse Student Perspectives
Guided Pathways is a new initiative to provide clear pathways and integrated support for all students at De Anza College, so they can successfully achieve their educational goals. The initiative includes the creation of De Anza's new Villages, and we are planning more programs to come. We want to include diverse student voices in all of our efforts.
- The Guided Pathways Student Focus Team is a group of faculty and staff members who are working to advance equity on campus by gathering diverse student perspectives to inform our Guided Pathways efforts.
- Under the team’s supervision, student consultants in the Student Working Advisory Group (SWAG) will contribute to shaping De Anza’s future by providing feedback and insights based on their own lived experiences.
Thanks for your interest. We will be contacting candidates for interviews soon.
We are especially looking for student candidates in groups that have been historically marginalized or underserved. This may include students who are bilingual, Black, disabled, Filipinx, first-generation, formerly incarcerated, foster care, immigrant, Latinx, LGBTQ+*, low-income, military veteran, Native American, nonnative English-speaking, multicultural, refugee, returning or undocumented.
(* LGBTQ+ includes Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Two-Spirit and the countless affirmative ways in which people choose to self-identify.)
Pay and Specifications
- $19.87 per hour
- Average of two hours per week
- Weekly meetings via Zoom
- Employment begins at the end of fall quarter, with the main work from winter 2022 through the end of spring 2022
- Pay is disbursed monthly, with timesheets due at the end of each month
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide feedback on campus initiatives and devise strategies to engage students, especially those who are the most marginalized, with Guided Pathways
- Speak openly, in biweekly meetings, about your own experiences related to your educational journey, and be curious about others’ stories
- After becoming familiar with Guided Pathways, coordinate and host student conferences, conduct focus groups and phone interviews, and seek feedback from specific class sections
- Perform advanced, more responsible and complex clerical and administrative duties supporting the work of the Guided Pathways Student Focus team
- Help promote Guided Pathways virtually or in person
Eligible students must be enrolled in at least six units during winter 2022 and six units during spring 2022, and maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Desire to reform and recreate college practices and policies to promote equity and remove barriers
- Willingness to speak openly about your own experiences as a student and share opinions about how to make De Anza better
- Readiness to learn coordination of programming, group facilitation, interviewing, creating and running online meetings, delivering presentations and developing written materials for a variety of different communication mediums
- Strong computer and online coordination skills
- Understanding of and willingness to learn more about how to be in solidarity with various communities and the ways they intersect
- Respect for confidentiality and a compassionate and supportive mindset while dealing with sensitive matters
- Commitment to social justice and making a difference on campus
- Ability to commit to weekly meetings – likely on Tuesday afternoons or Wednesday mornings. (We will be in touch with applicants about scheduling.)
- Application deadline: 5 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 15
- Candidate notifications:: Thursday, Nov. 18
- Interviews: Friday, Nov. 19 and Monday, Nov. 22
- Selections: Tuesday, Nov. 23
- Kickoff meeting: Friday, Dec. 10
Weekly meetings will begin the second week in January, with days and times to be announced.
Note: These dates are flexible!
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have questions.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the GPSWAG Team (Adriana, Diana, Lakshmi and Lisa) at firstname.lastname@example.org