We Are the IIS Division –
Our division includes De Anza's pioneering Intercultural Studies (Ethnic Studies) programs, Asian and Asian American Studies, International Studies (Global Studies), Women's Studies and the 12 language programs in our World Languages departments.
Our programs are designed to assist you in developing a sophisticated knowledge and critical understanding of the multiple definitions and elements of culture, including the psychology, history and sociology of language, politics, and power dynamics in human relationships at the individual, interpersonal, and institutional or systemic levels.
We invite you to explore our course offerings, and our certificate and degree programs, in subjects that can build your capacity to work effectively in a wide range of fields – including community advocacy, education, public policy and many more.
Our Intercultural Studies (ICS) program has a special importance at De Anza College. We are the only program at the college from which students must take at least one course as a requirement for graduation with an AA or AS degree. This requirement stems from a recognition that every individual can benefit from the understanding to be gained from ICS courses.
Register Now! Winter 2021
NEW Courses, Certificate and Programs
The Asian American and Asian Studies department currently offers 11 courses, and five new ones starting Fall 2020. We offer a Certificate of Achievement in Asian American Studies.
In collaboration with campus and community partners, our department also provides civic leadership training across different ages, an internship in teaching Asian American Studies, a year-long cohort program, and scholarships:
- IMPACT AAPI: a cohort-based learning community
- Asian Pacific American Leadership Institute (APALI):
- Summer Youth Leadership Academy – for high school and college students through a unique version of ICS 22/ASAM 10: Contemporary Asian American Communities
- Summer Leadership Internship – for teaching Asian American Studies (paid)
- Civic Leadership Program – for working professionals through ICS 55/ASAM 50: Civic Leadership for Community Empowerment
- Asian Pacific American Staff Association (APASA):
Register Now! Winter 2021
All classes are online.
- ASAM 10: Contemporary Asian American Communities
- ASAM 11: Asian Americans and Racism
- ASAM 12: Asian Americans and American Ideals, Institutions and Politics
- ASAM 30: Introduction to Filipinx American History and Culture
- ASAM 40: History of Art: Arts of Asia
- ASAM 42B/HIST 19B: History of Asian Civilization: China and Japan, 19th-21st Centuries
- ASAM 50: Civic Leadership for Community Empowerment (APALI)
The IIS Division office is located in De Anza’s Multicultural Center (MCC) – one of the hearts of our campus, where individuals, small groups and student organizations of all kinds can study, plan and organize together. The MCC is used for meetings, special events and community-building activities with a multicultural flavor. Activities are supported by DASB funding – so please come and use this communal space!
Departments and Areas of Study
- Intercultural Studies – including African American Studies, Asian and Asian American Studies, Chicanx/Latinx Studies and Native American Studies
- International Studies
- Women's Studies
- World Languages