New Videos: "Discover Your Village"
Students are learning more about this year’s Welcome Day on Friday, Sept. 17 – and the new Guided Pathways Villages – through a pair of online videos, along with social media posts and tailored emails for each Village.
The new videos, developed by the Office of Communications, encourage students to “Discover Your Village” by joining one of the new college communities based on majors and academic interests. One of them, shared earlier this week in emails tailored for students in each Village, offers a light-hearted introduction to the Village concept.
Another video, sent to all students last week, invites students to join Village activities on Welcome day.
This year’s Welcome Day activities will be held from 10 a.m. to noon.
- At 10 a.m., students are encouraged to join an online session hosted by their Village.
- Beginning at 10:30 a.m., students can remain with their Village or join activities hosted by participating collegewide programs, clubs and student services.
- Then at 11 a.m., students can attend activities hosted by individual academic departments or they can continue to check out collegewide programs, or rejoin their Village session.
All activities will be promoted on the Welcome Day website at deanza.edu/welcomeday, with links for students to join each activity on Canvas.
As in previous years, the college Opening Day program will be held from 8:30-9:30 a.m. on Sept. 17, before the student Welcome Day activities begin. The Opening Day program will stream on the official De Anza YouTube channel at youtube.com/deanzacollegeofficial and will include
- Employee service milestones
- New employee introductions
- Welcomes from the Classified and Academic senates and De Anza Student Government (DASG)
- An update on Guided Pathways
- Remarks from President Holmes on plans for the coming year
This year’s District Opening Day activities will be on Thursday, Sept. 16. Also – and new this year – there will be a college Flex Day with division and department meetings on Wednesday, Sept. 15. Deans and directors will provide more information about the Flex Day activities in their areas.
(Posted on Sept. 1, 2021)