This email was sent to all registered students.
March 15, 2022
Quick Notes for the Week of March 14
Reminder: COVID-19 Booster Requirement
You must upload proof of vaccination for COVID-19 before you can register for any on-campus classes. If you are planning to come to campus this spring, you are required to separately provide proof of a COVID-19 booster, if you are eligible for one, before classes begin on Wednesday, April 6. You should upload your booster document by April 1 so it can be verified before the deadline. See instructions at deanza.edu/vax.
Student Health Services is offering free drive-thru PCR testing for students and employees on Wednesdays from 12:30-4:30 p.m. in Parking Lot A. One-time preregistration is required for PCR testing. Visit the Health Services COVID-19 information page for additional details.
De Anza students can also pick up a free home-testing kit outside the Student Health Services office each Monday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. – while supplies last.
Vote in the DASG Student Elections: Meet the candidates and make your selections for De Anza Student Government. Voting is now open at deanza.edu/studentvote. The deadline to cast your votes is this Friday, March 18, at 4 p.m. Visit deanza.edu/dasg/elections for more information on the DASG elections process.
Special St. Patrick's Day Menu this Thursday: Dining Services is open — and this Thursday, March 17, they’re serving up a special St. Patrick’s Day meal. The traditional Irish dishes of corned beef and cabbage as well as colcannon will be available to order in the Food Court from 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., or while supplies last. To see hours and information for other food stations, visit deanza.edu/dining.
Six De Anza Faculty Members Receive Tenure: Last night, six De Anza faculty members were awarded tenure by the Foothill-De Anza district board of trustees. The tenure recipients are:
- Chris Deming, Chemistry
- Lauren Gordon, English
- Julie Hughes, Art (pictured second from right with Patrick Ahrens, president, board of trustees; Judy Miner, chancellor; and Lloyd Holmes, president, De Anza College)
- Bob Kalpin, Biology
- Brendan Mar, Chemistry
- Cathy Patel, Disability Support Services
Awards and Achievements
Design and Manufacturing Technologies Department Awarded National Science Foundation Grant: De Anza’s DMT department was recently awarded a $525,793 Advanced Technological Education grant from the National Science Foundation for their project, Manufacturing Automation and Additive Design Excellence (MAADE). Look for more news on this soon.
Competitive Programming Club Shines at International Competitive Programming Contest: The De Anza Competitive Programming Club participated in its sixth straight Pacific Northwest Regional of the International Competitive Programming Contest. De Anza was the only two-year college in the competition. Read more about the club’s performance at deanza.edu/news/achievements.
Journalism Students and Instructor Win Awards at Statewide Conference: De Anza journalism students were awarded for their work on the La Voz News website in 2021 and in live contests held at a college journalism conference earlier this month. Journalism chair and adviser to La Voz News Cecilia Deck was also recognized with the California Journalism and Media Affiliates Journalism Educator of the Year award. Read more about the award winners at deanza.edu/news/achievements.
Now that the Strategic Planning workshops have concluded, there are upcoming special events to guide the next steps of the strategic planning process.
- Strategic Planning Workshops Recap: Your Feedback — Monday, April 18, 1-2 p.m.
- Review of Draft Strategic Plan — Monday, May 9, 1-2 p.m.
Visit deanza.edu/strategic for details on these events, recordings of the workshops and more.
Women's History Month
March is Women's History Month! Visit the Women, Gender and Sexuality Center homepage for a list of upcoming events in celebration of Women’s History Month. This Wednesday, tune in for a special One Book, One College, One Community event:
Latinas in Politics – Challenging Narratives of Belonging and Inclusion
- Wednesday, March 16, noon to 1:30 p.m.
- Register to attend via Zoom
You can also get into the spirit of the month with special Zoom backgrounds that are available for download on the De Anza Zoom Backgrounds page.
Check the Events Calendar for additional details and more events.
- Transfer University Meeting: Representative from Chico State University – Tuesday, March 15, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Free Online Tax-Filing Assistance: Provided by VITA – Wednesday, March 16, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Latinas in Politics - Challenging Narratives of Belonging and Inclusion: One Book Event – Wednesday, March 16, noon-1:30 p.m.
- Creative Expressions Group: Psychological Services Group Workshop – Wednesday, March 16, 1-2 p.m.
- Transfer University Meeting: Representative from DeVry University – Wednesday, March 16, 2-5 p.m.
- Tech, Law, Marketing and Communications Career Panel: Language and Communication Village Event – Wednesday, March 16, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- LGBTQ+ Group: Psychological Services Group Workshop – Thursday, March 17, 11 a.m.-noon
- Movies for Mental Health: Online Film Screenings and Discussion – Thursday, March 17, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Intersectional Identities: Diverse Student Voices from the Jewish Community – Thursday, March 17, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Active Minds at De Anza: The Effect of Sleep on Mental Health – Friday, March 18, 10-11 a.m.
- Career Closet and Professional Headshot Opportunity: Organized by Foothill and De Anza Student Trustees – Friday, March 18, 10 a.m.-noon
Tell us about your event! Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us.
Dates and Deadlines
- Final exams – March 21-25
- First day of spring quarter classes – Wednesday, April 6
Visit the Academic Calendar page to see more important dates and deadlines by quarter.
- Instructional Planning and Budget Team (IPBT) – Tuesday, March 15, 4-5 p.m.
- Student Services Planning and Budget Team (SSPBT) – Wednesday, March 17, 1:30-3 p.m.
- Academic Senate – Monday, March 21, 2:30-4:20 p.m.
Find more information about college governance at deanza.edu/gov.
Quick Notes is an email digest of timely information for De Anza students, faculty and staff. Watch for it in your inbox regularly.
Use the online form at deanza.edu/communications/tell-us to let us know about an upcoming activity or other news that you want to share with the rest of the college community. That’s the best way to get your item on our radar for the website Events Calendar, newsletter and social media planning.
- Questions or feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org