Announcements and Reminders
Please watch this webpage and be sure to check your email frequently. We will continue to send you urgent information by email and will update messages posted on ISP Instagram page.
We intend to send out emails to students on a weekly basis. If you haven't received an email in the last few weeks, please provide your full name, CWID, and email address to Lynn Ling at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will ensure that you are included in our mailing list.
Drop With "W" By Friday, Nov. 17 (posted Nov. 15, 2023)
- The 12-unit requirement applies to all F-1 students studying inside the U.S.
- EWs and Ws(Excused Withdrawals and Withdrawals) do not count toward the requirement.
- Maintaining 8 to 9 units of on-campus or hybrid classes is REQUIRED for all students inside the U.S.
- You must meet with an academic counselor before dropping below 12 units.
Please note that the 12-unit requirement does not apply to new fall 2023 students who are outside the U.S. as they are not yet in F-1 status.
Online Class Rule (posted Sept. 28, 2023)
- All F-1 international students studying inside the U.S. must register in, maintain and complete 12 units each quarter (fall, winter, and spring).
- Only one online class counts toward the 12-unit requirement each quarter.
- Hybrid classes (that include both online and on-campus instruction) are treated as on-campus classes.
An easy formula to remember:
- Take 8 or 9 units of on-campus or hybrid classes.
- The rest of your units can be online.
Full-Time Enrollment: 12-Unit Requirement (posted Sept. 19, 2023)
- All F-1 international students studying inside the U.S. must enroll in and maintain 12 units every quarter (fall, winter and spring). If you wish to drop below 12 units for any reason, you must first get approval from an ISP counselor and immigration advisor.
- Please note that the 12 unit requirement does not apply to new Fall 2023 students who are outside the U.S. as they are not yet in F-1 status. The 12 unit requirement is only for students who are inside the U.S. OR are studying outside the U.S. with an active SEVIS record.
- EWs and Ws (Excused Withdrawals and Withdrawals) do not count toward the 12 unit requirement. Also, students MUST obtain approval from your assigned academic counselor prior to dropping a class with a W or requesting an EW.
Fraud Advisory: Watch for Scammers!
Students: Please beware of a scam involving individuals who falsely claim to be calling from the U.S. government office known as the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) or the SEVP Response Center (SRC).
These fraudulent callers may claim to be SRC representatives and they may appear to be calling from SRC phone numbers such as 703-603-3400 and 800-892-4829. They may ask about your Form I-94 documents or ask you to provide financial information.
- SEVP officials will NEVER ask you to provide account numbers for credit cards, debit cards or gift cards, or wire transfers, or bank routing numbers, or to make bitcoin deposits for any purpose.
- You should NEVER give personal or financial information to callers you don't know.
- If you receive a call like this and you aren't sure if it is legitimate, you can check with one of these advisers in the International Student Programs office at De Anza:
- You should also report fraudulent or suspicious calls to the U.S. Homeland Security Investigations division by using their online tip form.
- If you have any additional questions regarding this matter, please contact the SEVP Response Center.
This video from Arizona State University provides useful information about scams targeting international students.