Travel Outside the U.S.

F-1 Visa students need a travel signature if they plan to travel outside of the United States.

If You Have a Current Signature on Your I-20:

  • You can travel outside the United States if you have received a signature within the past 12 months on page 2 of your I-20 form.
  • You should contact an International Student Adviser to confirm that there are no problems with your immigration record before travel.

If You Do Not Have a Current Signature on Your I-20:

  • If you do not have a current signature on the 2nd page of your I-20, you should email an International Student Adviser to request an electronic signature on your I-20 one month before you return to the U.S. 
  • You must include the following information in the email message:
    1. Passport name
    2. CWID (your 8-digit De Anza student ID number)
    3. Birthdate and/or SEVIS ID number
    4. Date you plan to return to the U.S.
    5. Your email subject line should say: I-20 travel signature

How to Reach Your Immigration Adviser?

Immigration advisers are assigned by the first letter of your last or family name. If your family name begins with:

The immigration advisers offers drop-in hours, and the schedule is available here.

Back to Top