Getting Your English Placement
The guided self-placement tool for English was created by De Anza's English instructors to help you determine which English course is right for you. It's intended for students who aren't able to get a placement based on their recent U.S. high school transcript.
- This self-assessment is for students who speak English as their primary language or who attended schools where all classes were taught in English.
- If you are coming to De Anza to learn English, you should take the English as a Second Language (ESL) assessment.
There is no “pass” or “fail” on this self-assessment. It is designed to measure your current knowledge and understanding of English. The results will help you get the right level of instruction to succeed in the classes you need for your major and academic goals.
After you complete the self-assessment, you will receive a placement for a transfer-level course in the English Writing (EWRT) course sequence.
How it works
The self-assessment is a computerized, survey-like tool that will guide you through several modules. These are designed to help you
- Determine your confidence level when asked to review course descriptions
- Think about your comfort level when asked to review sample assignments
- Reflect on your familiarity with major course concepts
Online English GSP
How to Prepare
Read the English GSP Online Overview.
Please use our online contact form to submit your full name, CWID and the request to take the English assessment online.
- If eligible, you'll be provided with instructions on how to access the English assessment which is offered though Canvas.
- Once you are enrolled in the Canvas English assessment, you will have 2 business days to submit your responses.
Within 2 - 3 business days your assessment results will be processed and you'll receive a placement in the English course sequence. You will be notified within via email when your results have been posted on your MyPortal account.
In-Person English GSP
This service has been suspended due to the campus closure.
How to Prepare
Read the English GSP Overview.
You will also need to make an appointment for the self-assessment.
Once you make the appointment, you will receive an email with directions to the Assessment Lab. We're located in Room 146 of the Registration & Student Services (RSS) building. The lab entrance faces Parking Lot 1 on the Stevens Creek Boulevard side of campus.
On the day of your appointment:
- Bring a valid photo ID, such as a driver's license or school identification, to show when you arrive.
- Know your MyPortal password.
- Bring a few pencils.
- We'll provide scratch paper.
Repeating the English Assessment
The English Department would like students to take the English self-assessment once. After completing the self-assessment, if you are not satisfied with your result, you may participate in the English Placement Challenge Process.