English Guided Self-Placement
The guided self-placement assessment tool for English was created by De Anza's English instructors to help you determine which English course is right for you. It's intended for students who aren't able to get a placement based on their recent U.S. high school transcript.
- This self-assessment is for students who speak English as their primary language or who attended schools where all classes were taught in English.
- If you are coming to De Anza to learn English, you should take the English as a Second Language (ESL) assessment.
Read the below information about the online English GSP assessment and then use our online request form to request access!
How does the English Guided Self-Placement work?
The guided self-placement assessment is a computerized, survey-like tool that will guide you through several modules. These are designed to help you
- Determine your confidence level when asked to review course descriptions
- Think about your comfort level when asked to review sample assignments
- Reflect on your familiarity with major course concepts
There is no “pass” or “fail” on this self-assessment. It is designed to measure your current knowledge and understanding of English. The results will help you get the right level of instruction to succeed in the classes you need for your major and academic goals.
After you complete the self-assessment, you will receive a placement for a transfer-level course in the English Writing (EWRT) course sequence.
Getting Started with the English Guided Self-Placement
Here's How to Prepare
Please use our online request form to request access to the online English guided self-placement assessment tool, and then follow these steps:
- Wait for the Assessment Center to send you an email with detailed instructions.
- Read the email carefully. When you are ready to begin the assessment, send a reply that confirms you are ready to begin.
- You will then receive a second email with a link that you can click to begin the assessment.
- You have two business days to finish. (The two days begin when you reply to the first email.)
Within 2 - 3 business days your assessment results will be processed and you'll receive a placement in the English Writing (EWRT) course sequence. You will be notified via email when your results have been posted on your MyPortal account.
EWRT Course Registration Tips
Repeating the English Guided Self-Placement
You should complete the guided self-placement process before challenging any results. If you are not satisfied with the result after completing the self-assessment, you may participate in the English Placement Challenge Process.