De Anza College has the FIRST and ONLY State Accredited Facility Management Associate Degree Program in California!
De Anza College is a Proven Leader in FM Education and Career Placement!
We Innovate - Others Imitate!
The California Community Colleges are the largest educational institution in the world, totaling 2.6 Million students last year. De Anza has been actively involved in Facility Management since January 2016- we are pioneers and leaders! The California State Chancellor's office developed a Statewide FM vision and future FM career pathway initiative for up to 20 colleges based on the success of De Anza College's Facility and Sustainable Building Management pilot program in April 2016!
- De Anza College HAS the first and only State accredited Facility and Sustainable Building Management Associate (AS) Degree program in the 114 member California Community College system.
- De Anza College DELIVERS the most holistic, complete and well rounded FM educational experience with an emphasis on real estate, property management, building code compliance, strategic facility planning, and energy efficient and sustainable buildings. We offer more than business, accounting and management classes. To manage buildings effectively, one needs to know how they work. We specialize in that!
- De Anza College OFFERS the first and only online accessible and State accredited Facility Management Certificate of Achievement in California! There's no need for you to come to campus. Earn your FM COA on your own schedule via distance learning.
- De Anza College PROVIDES hands on Facility Management networking, mentoring and learning opportunities with our degree program partners if you live near us in Santa Clara County.
We have a great track record of placing our graduates in living wage careers!
If you're looking for well educated and job ready FM professionals, we graduate them regularly. Our program graduates are working at companies like, Amazon. CBRE, Cushman & Wakefield, Google, Intel Corporation, Carbon Lighthouse, ASI Controls and Levi's Stadium!
Earn Your Certificate of Achievement Online
If you don't live in the San Francisco Bay Area or choose to not fight traffic to come to campus, you can still earn a Facility and Sustainable Building Certificate of Achievement (COA) online! Our required courses are offered online at least once each academic year. Complete your COA in 12 months or less! Our exclusive energy efficiency and sustainable building courses will differentiate you in the workplace!
De Anza's associate degree in Facility and Sustainable Building Management (FSBM) features an interdisciplinary curriculum focused on the business aspects of making buildings more efficient, sustainable and cost effective. Our program covers all of the "11 Core Competencies" required of successful Facility Management and Building professionals. Our curriculum includes courses on energy efficient and sustainable buildings, whole building systems, environmental health and safety, business and building operations, program and project management, finance, workplace communication and ethics, and real estate principles.
Work-based learning and interpersonal skill development are also key components of our program. Courses from De Anza's Business, Accounting, Computer Science, Real Estate, Environmental Resource Management/Pollution Prevention and Energy Management/ Building Science programs provide students with a well-rounded educational experience and prepares them for well paid careers in Facility and Sustainable Building Management.
The De Anza College FSBM Curriculum is closely aligned with the topic areas addressed
in most Facility Management professional credential programs!
What Does A Facility Manager Do?
A lot of different things! It may have one of the most broadly defined job descriptions of any career path. FMs never have a dull moment! It is a very cross-functional job that gets involved in managing all aspects of facility and building / business operations.
"A facility manager is a building maintenance specialist and property administrator who conducts building operations and maintenance activities, coordinates facility programs and projects, and supervises building personnel – by inspecting the facility, analyzing building data, forecasting future needs, solving problems and communicating with others – to ensure the efficient and sustainable operations of the facility and the satisfaction of the occupants."
Facility Management is a career that encompasses an understanding of the built environment, sustainable buildings and business operations functions. These careers pay very well. Starting salaries with an associate degree range from $60K- $75K depending on the job function!
Our Curriculum Will Differentiate You!
Our program offers more than just business, management and accounting classes. Effective facility and building management encompasses and requires much more than that! Our FSBM degree offering has many differentiating qualities only found at De Anza College! No other Community College in California offers the same breadth of educational courses.
Our program provides the the most holistic, complete, and in depth educational curriculum addressing every one of the 11 Core Competencies- requirements and skill sets that are critical in the role of a successful facility or building management professional. We take you where other programs can't go- they don't have the same breadth and depth of classes in multiple facility management related disciplines.
In addition, we're VERY affordable. Our classes are offered at only $31 per class unit for residents of California! Many of our students complete our programs in 12-15 months.
Our program and degree address ALL of the areas below:
- Facility Management
- Sustainable, Energy Efficient and Green Buildings
- LEED and Building Code Compliance
- Building Automation / Building Systems
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Real Estate
- Property Management
- Computer Science and Networking (IoT)
- Business and Workplace Ethics
- Business Communications
- Program and Project Management
- Supervisory Management
An Industry in Search of New Talent
In the next 15 Years, 50 percent of all existing Facility and Building Management professionals will retire. The average age of an FM is roughly 49 years old. In California, there is a demand for roughly 6,000 qualified FM Professionals and a supply of less than 50.
As a result,the Facility Management Industry approached the Foundation for California Community Colleges to address their labor market shortage. De Anza College is leading the way for other colleges in the California Community College System as the first to offer a two year degree in Facility Management
Our FM Degree Requirements and Other Helpful Resources
- De Anza Facility Management Certificate of Achievement and Degree
- Yearly Facility and Sustainable Building Management Class Planner
- Facility Management: Putting Energy and Sustainability Practices to Work
- De Anza College Students complete Facility Management Industry Pilot Program (July 16)
- Seven Facility Management Trends
- Eight Financial Metrics Every Facility Manager Needs To Know About
Need More Information?
Energy & Facility Management/ Building Science Program
Office KC 241B
Instructor and Program Chair
SPRING 2018 OFFICE HOURS:
M-W- 8:30AM- 9:30AM
WED- ONLINE 12:00- 2:00PM
OR BY 15 MIN APPT IN ADVANCE