Notes - February 25th, 2008

The De Anza Academic Senate
Approved Notes for the meeting of
February 25th, 2008

Senators and Officers present: Argyriou, Bambhania, Chang, Chenoweth, Coleman, Dolen, Goodwin, Guevara, Hanna, Hughes, Kessler, Kramer, LaManque, Lathers, Lee-Klawender, Maynard, Miller,  Mitchell, Paicius, Schaffer, Setziol, Shively, Walton, and White, and Winters
Senators and Officers absent:  Gallegos, Glapion, Ng-Lee, and Schafer-Braun
DASB:                                       Classified Senate:   Al Guevara
Administrative Liaison:
Guests: Jay Donde, Cheryl Woodward, and Howard Irvin
Curriculum Co Chair:  Anu Khanna    SLO Coordinator:

[NOTE: Item numbers are reflective of agenda numbers in the order they
are actually taken up at the meeting.]

The meeting was called to order at 2:32 a quorum being present.

I.  Approval of Agenda and Notes: The agenda was approved as distributed with the addition of an item IIb, Renaming the Library.
The notes of February 11th, 2008 were approved  as distributed with a minor correction.

IIa.  Needs and Confirmations: Hughes, Gallegos, Gregory Anderson, and Jean Miller were confirmed for service on the EOPS Director Search and Selection Committee.

Marcia Maiero was confirmed for the interim Curriculum Co Chair position, replacing Khanna for Fall, 2008.

The need for faculty participation in a Transfer Leadership Research Project was again highlighted from the list of needy committees.  Also, Setziol will try once again to launch the WAITT committee approved in 2007.

IIb.  Renaming the Library: Without controversy, the group was clearly supportive of changing the name of the building currently named the A. Robert DeHart Learning Center to “the A. Robert DeHart Library”.  The Board of Trustees will make the decision whether or not the name gets changed.

III.  Classified Employees Support:   Chenoweth read proposed resolution language.  Some in the group thought the language to be too neutral and not action oriented.  Setziol explained that normally specific action was spelled out in resolutions.  The group directed Chenoweth to add language specifying that the resolution would be read at the next Board meeting.  Also, the existing language was changed to say that morale had been affected rather than might be affected.

IV. Faculty Mentoring Program:  LaManque distributed a handout explaining and promoting a kind of pilot faculty mentoring of students plan.  The document’s title, “De Anza College Academic Senate Strategic Planning Commitments Related to Faculty Mentoring”, reminded the group that the idea had already been approved at least in general terms.  Response to the presentation was entirely positive.  LaManque sought volunteers to join him on a planning committee.  Argyriou and Setziol volunteered.  Non Senators are also welcome to join.

V. District Electronic Mail/Portal Usage:  Chenoweth began by saying that it had been his intent to contact part time faculty about the subject via electronic mail but that intention was for naught since finding the addresses was impractical if not impossible in a timely fashion.  This beginning heightened awareness that it was time to move to a system wherein part time faculty are given and expected to collect  District electronic mail.  Use of the District electronic Portal is also involved.  To that end a training on the use of the Portal will be offered to part time faculty March 6th from 4:00 to 5:30 P.M.  It was suggested that information be provided to all part time faculty as part of the contract confirming an assignment.

A statement made previously about forwarding electronic mail to home addresses being a bad idea given the large amount of spam is apparently false since messages would be filtered by both District and home provider systems.

Chenoweth requested that Dolen as Tech Task Force Co Chair present two issues to that group:  1) the lack of meeting maker accounts for new faculty because deans are no longer purchasing licenses, and 2) creating a means for faculty to directly request their computer replacements without going through the deans.

VI. University Studies Degree: Cheryl Woodward was present to present a proposal recently brought before the Curriculum Committee from some number of counselors.  The proposal would create a new De Anza Associate’s Degree consisting of IGETC and CSU Breadth requirements and an area of concentration (not the same thing as a specific discipline major) but not the Speech, Intercultural Studies, or Physical Education requirements of the regular De Anza General education pattern.  During a discussion which could be characterized as a cool reception, it was MSC(Shively/Argyriou) to table the discussion to a time determined by Chenoweth.

VII.  Good of the Order and announcements:  -  Winters thanked the group for its gift of what she said were beautiful flowers.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:00 due to the General Education Steering Committee Meeting scheduled to begin at that time.

Back to Top