General Meeting Information

Date: February 25, 2019
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    2:30 - 2:35 p.m. Approval of Agenda & minutes from February 4 meeting A
    • Chow
    • All
    2:35 - 2:45 p.m.

    Needs and Confirmations



    2:45 - 3:10 p.m.

    Committee updates

    • Academic & Professional Matters (APM)
    • Instructional & Planning Budget Team (IPBT)
    • Student Services Planning & Budget Team (SSPBT)
    • Chow
    • Pape
    3:10 - 3:20 p.m. Convocation Update I/D
    • Chow
    • Pape
    3:20 - 3:30 p.m. April 18 Coffee Chat with Chancellor Miner & April 8 Joint Academic Senates meeting funding requests


    3:30 - 3:45 p.m. Board Policy and Administrative Policy 4100 Graduation Requirements for Degrees and Certificates (4th Read/Discussion) I/D/A Chow
    3:45 - 4:00 p.m. Faculty Association Retreat Update I/D
    • Stockwell
    • Chow
    4:00 - 4:25 p.m. . Course Scheduling and Enrollment Management Task Force I/D/A Chow
    4:25 - 4:30 p.m. Good of the Order I All
    • A = Action
      D = Discussion
      I = Information
  • Minutes

    Meeting Minutes

    Approval of Agenda & Minutes from February 4 meeting
    • Agenda approved 
    • Minutes from 2/11/19 Approved

    Needs and Confirmations
    • Approved confirmation

    Committee Updates
    Academic & Professional Matters (APM)
    • Karen provided an update of her meeting with chancellor Miner last week. Dr. Miner has agreed to visit on March 18th to the Academic Senate meeting to give an update on district-wide budget and her vision for the district.
    • This Thursday (3/28), the 4/4 Monday Board agenda will be released and will contain the list of all the positions being eliminated from Central Services, Foothill, and De Anza.
    • Karen also updated the committee on the chancellor’s timeline for the presidential search. A request for an extension of the contract for the interim president will likely be made, to June 2020. The consultant will be hired to begin the work during summer 2019 and the search process will take one year. 
      • Mary D. requested the job description of the interim and former president. 
      • Meeting with Chancellor Miner (see below)  to be held on April 18, 2019, in Admin 109 from 1:00-2:30 
    • Carolyn Holcroft is working on a FAQ sheet for the FW and other grades.
      • Item will not return until the FAQ is ready to present. 
    • More board policies on their way.
    • The committee discussed class cancelation.
    • Opening day input - send to Karen. Faculty are always welcome to email the chancellor directly with their ideas. 
    Instructional & Planning Budget Team (IPBT)
    Student Services Planning & Budget Team (SSPBT)
    • No meeting this past week, no update.

    Convocation Update
    • 130 attendees- faculty (academic and counseling), staff, students. Was intentionally set up so that there was diverse representation in each group. 
    •  Feedback - 
      • work on guided pathways needs to be intentional and collaborative. Concern from Susan - it can be tricky because of if you give one set of coursework as GE’s recommended for a “guided pathway” can lean heavily towards one area of study, 
      • The next phase of guided pathways is to open the discussion as to who would give input, the discipline faculty will map out the pathways for their area.
      • Bhuvi - likes the ideas to map courses for degrees & certificates and make maps available to students, because she feels that it will be helpful for students because currently, they have to go to each professor to find out what classes are going to be offered.
      • “students were the experts,” according to _____?

    April 18 Coffee Chat with Chancellor Miner & April 8 Joint Academic Senates meeting funding requests
    • April 8th we will be hosting the quarterly joint senate meeting. Request for funds, up to $250 for coffee, cookies, and fruit.  
      • Request from Foothill Academic Senate President Isaac Escoto: can we start the meeting at 2 pm instead, since that is when they usually start their Senate meeting?
      • That date April 8 is the first Monday and week one of Spring quarter. March 18th is the day that would work considering the dates of finals week and spring break.. This is the same day as the chancellor’s visit. Does this work?
    • Shagun made a motion to approve that for April 18th we host the chancellor’s Coffee Chat, and  approve up to $250 for coffee, cookies, and fruit for both the Coffee Chat with the Chanceloor, as well as up to $250 for the Joint Senates meeting. , Motion seconded by Marc. 
      • Mary P. moved, and Mary D. seconded:: Proposing to Foothill Academic Senate to also hold the Joint Senates meeting on March 18: Approve, no oppose, one abstention. Passed.
    • Discussion of whether or not the 2 pm time will work for DA senate. Karen will discuss the time and date with Issac.

    Board Policy and Administrative Policy 4100 Graduation Requirements for Degrees and Certificates (4th Read/Discussion)
    • Changes requested by the body are integrated into the document (“at least the legally required minimum”)
    • Foothill inserted the “Bachelor’s of Science” degree. 
    • Fourth read and discussion  
    • Mary P motioned to approve, Mary D seconded.
      • in Favor (16), no opposed, two abstentions
    • APM group felt it was not necessary to change the wording around the ethnic studies requirement in the AP 4100. Wanted to keep as it. The wording was suggested by the Community College League of California.
      • Is there a separate one for the associate degrees for transfer? This is general. There will not be another policy.  As far as Senate leadership knows this policy will cover ADTs. ADT comes from the state, maybe that is why it is not covered in the policies.
      • Does this mean that Foothill will need to start offering ethnic studies courses? Not sure, it may be a district-wide requirement and if De Anza has ethnic studies, it may be satisfactory. You can get an associate’s degree from Foothill without taking ethnic studies.
      • Does credit by exam apply to the ADT? May want to check with Renee. 
      • Committee representatives feel the Ethnic studies (reference Title V) and the ADT omission are important to address. 
      • Shagun suggested including “expression.”  That is a subarea of “language and rationality” in Title V. 
      • Executive committee requested to have Renee Augenstein (Articulation faculty officer) review AP 4100 and report back her comments and any concerns.

    Faculty Association Retreat Update
    • Bob Stockwell provided a summary of the topics discussed
      • State report- Evan Hawkins director of FACCC presented. 
      • Class cancellations - David Ulate presented on behalf of Foothill
      • Legal Council - pension reform, post janis, early cancelation at district level, FH level stuff including new conciliators, membership outreach, etc.
      • FACCC represents all faculty for the California Community Colleges. We have our own union, but FACCC represents all faculty statewide. A lot of the advocacy work on our behalf is being done by FACCC. Next week is their meeting in Sacramento. FACCC is pushing on issues:
        • pushing back on the performance-based funding model
        • Pushing in favor College promise
        • Things missed in the budget - for full time and part time faculty and the student needs.
      • Faculty were interested in the cancellation policy and the conversation with Foothill. Data was shared and the position taken by Foothill with regards to the cancelation of classes is that it was low impact (less than 10%)  on FTES. Data didn’t capture the loss of students who could not be captured by the registration system (ie were student less likely to enroll due to fear of class cancelation?) Foothill administrators did not seem to have a direct answer about planning future enrollment decisions based on this data.
      • Karen added that in her conversation, Dr. Miner stated that she would be interested in De Anza offering courses at the Sunnyvale center. For faculty who may be interested; what facilities are available at Sunnyvale? 
      • These are the discussions that need to occur at the district level- WHAT ARE WE DOING? What is the plan for enrollment from the district? If not, why isn’t there? Karen will attend the 4/4 board meeting and reiterate this again.
      • FA is making the course cancelation policy and the COLA increase key negotiating items. 
      • Bob S. will share notes.

    Course Scheduling and Enrollment Management Task Force 
    • We need a faculty to co-chair this committee.
      • Bob S. proposed that there should be the creation of a districtwide committee from Bob. Ishmael asked- “if we can’t get the De Anza Academic Senate Course Scheduling and Enrollment Management Task Force going,, how are we going to create a District-wide task force?
      • Karen asked: do we want to bring this back next week? Susan says yes and requests that this item be higher in the agenda so that it can be addressed without time constraint. 
      • Question asked: Is there a stipend or comp time for this work? 
      • Concern from faculty that admin will not listen to the findings of the committee. We need to have buy-in from administrators. No one wants to participate in a committee that does not feel heard.

    Good of the Order
    • Instructional skills workshop for Spring
    • Movies for mental health 
    • Spots available in Men of Color workshops offered through Professional Development. 
    • Club list
    • DASB elections

    Officers and Senators

    Executive Committee Members Present

    Name Position Present
    Karen Chow President Y
    Mary Pape Vice President  Y
    Alicia Del Toro Executive Secretary/Treasurer Y
    Ishmael Tarikh PT
    Mary Donahue PT Y
    Paul Klingman App Tech  
    Pete Vernazza App Tech Y
    Bob Kalpin BHES
    Gayatri Pal BHES Y
    Mia Breen Bus/CIS  
    Mary Pape Bus/CIS Y
    Ron Dunn CA Y
    Ilas Glasman CA  
    Julie Kennedy CD&E  
    Betty Inouye Counseling  Y
    Rob Clem Counseling  Y
    Kevin Glapion DSPS Y
    Anita Vazdifar DSPS Y
    Vacancy ICS/IIS  
    Marc Coronado ICS/IIS Y
    Cheryl Balm PSME  
    Lisa Mesh PSME Y
    Shagun Kaur LA Y
    Kim Palmore LA  
    Susan Thomas SSH Y
    MyLinh Pham SSH Y
    Louise Madrigal PE Y
    Vacancy PE  
    Tom Dolen LR Y
    Mary Sullivan SD Y
    Mae Lee Curriculum Committee Y

    Guests Present

    Name Position Present
    Thomas Ray Administrator Liaison  
    Bhuvi Natarajan DASB Representative  
    Bob Stockwell Faculty Association  
    Christina Espinosa-Pieb Interim De Anza President  
    Rob Mieso VP of Student Services  
    Lorrie Ranck Acting VP of Instruction  
    Susan Cheu VP of Administrative Services  
    Hyon Chu Yi-Baker Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs  
    Marisa Spatafore Associate V of Communications & External Relations  
    Lorna Maynard Classified Senate President  
    Hayman Wong De Anza Student Trustee  
    Mallory Newell Institutional Researcher  
    Moaty Fayek Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems  
    Renee Augenstein Articulation Officer  
    Mary Bennett Tenure Review Coordinator  
    Sheila White-Daniels Dean of Counseling  
    Vacancy Dean of Creative Arts  
    Alicia Cortez Dean of Equity and Engagement  
    Sam Bliss Interim Dean of Physical Education  
    Isaac Escoto FH Academic Senate President  
    Carolyn Holcroft FHDA District Academic Senate President  
    Pam Grey Associate VP of College Operations  
    Stacey Shears Dean of Disability Support Programs & Services  
    Anita Kandula Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences  
    Michele LeBleu-Burns Dean of Student Development/EOPS  
    Lisa Mandy Director of Financial Aid  
    Nazy Galoyan Dean of Enrollment Services  
    Edmundo Norte Dean of Intercultural/International Studies  
    Jerry Rosenberg Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering  
    Judy Miner FHDA Chancellor  
    Dawn Lee Tu Faculty Director of Office of Professional Development Y
    Carolyn Wilkins-Greene Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities  
    Kelly Swanson Director, Book Store  
    David Ulate FHDA Research & Planning  
      La Voz representative Y

Documents and Links

Back to Top