General Meeting Information

Date: March 23, 2020
Time: 2:30-4:30
Location: Zoom

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    2:30-2:35 Approval of Agenda and Minutes from March 16, 2020 Meeting A Chow, All
    2:35 - 2:45 Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action) I All
    2:45 -3:30

    Migration To Remote Teaching & Remote Campus Services Update From The Field (Department Chairs/Schedulers, Faculty Reps, Program Directors, Deans):

    1) How are departments and divisions staying in contact, updating, and supporting each other?  Especially for PT faculty and those who are not teaching or on leave this quarter? 

    2) How are Winter Quarter Finals adaptations/updates going?

    3) How are departments and programs doing with faculty migrating from F2F to remote/online modalities?

    4) How is messaging being conducted with students?  What kinds of student issues are coming to faculty?

    5) What are the ways in which instructional strategies and course scheduling for Winter and Spring are being planned?  Who's at the table/being consulted in decision-making at division and department level?

    I/D/A Chow, Department Chairs/Schedulers, Deans, Faculty Reps, Program Directors

    Q&A Discussion of COVID-19 contingencies & updates

    I/D Chow, Espinosa-Pieb, Ranck, De Anza Senior Staff

    Good of the Order




    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

    NOTE:Dear Senators and Guests:

     This Monday's Academic Senate Meeting will be available for you to participate in via Confer Zoom. Per Governor Newsom's emergency order for COVID19 sheltering in place, holding this meeting in Confer Zoom satisfies Brown Act requirements requiring a publicly accessible meeting location.
    If you wish to join via ConferZoom, below are instructions.  Voting for any Motions made during the meeting will be done via the Chat feature of ConferZoom, and I will explain how that will work at the start of our meeting.


    Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:


    Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +16699006833,484345577# or +13462487799,484345577#


    Or Telephone:
    +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
    +1 346 248 7799 (US Toll)
    +1 646 876 9923 (US Toll)
    +1 253 215 8782 (US Toll)
    +1 301 715 8592 (US Toll)
    +1 312 626 6799 (US Toll)
    Meeting ID: 484 345 577

  • Minutes

    Minutes for March 23, 2020

    I. Approval of Agenda and Minutes from March 16, 2020 Meeting

    • Agenda approved.
    • Minutes approved with corrections.

    II. Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action)

    • Cecilia Deck, advisor to La Voz and journalism teacher, reported that journalism class is going on next quarter as usual, in not so usual circumstances; she asked administrators and faculty to make time for journalism students to conduct phone or video interviews; she stressed that live interviews are better than phone interviews, phone are better than email interviews, and she will not be teaching email interviewing; La Voz is a community for faculty, staff, and students. La Voz will be published online, in social media, and also as an email newsletter next quarter.
    • Lisa Markus: Faculty Association sent out an FA update today in place of the printed FA News, which will not be printed and placed in mailboxes. There is an update on professional growth awards, professional achievement awards, and tenure evaluation for next quarter. Please check the update and email questions to Lisa.
    • Genevieve and Casey, student representatives, explained their role to bring student concerns to the meeting; they expressed deep and genuine appreciation for the great efforts put forth by professors, counselors, and everyone to move online so quickly, to accommodate students, and to communicate information.
    • Genevieve highlighted the DASB letter sent out by Karen Chow earlier; since there are no more DASB meetings until April, therefore, it is not a formal resolution. In the letter, the students are asking for emergency Pass/No Pass; also, hoping that professors may change grading structure to be more merciful and lenient, with the understanding that current grades may not be reflective of the students’ effort, understanding, or passion for their classes; there are reports of many students without jobs, or going through ridiculous shifts; it has been hard for students to continue work as usual. She expressed appreciation for the kind consideration.
    • Joseph Ng, International Student Program, shared a totally unexpected challenge for students that have returned to their home country; because of COVID-19, students are placed in 14-day quarantine and they do not have internet access to continue with classes.
    • Question from chat regarding course cancellation dates. Answered in chat: course cancellation dates have been moved back to April 2.

    III. Migration to Remote Teaching and Remote Campus Services Update from the Field (Department Chairs/Schedulers, Faculty Reps, Program Directors, Deans):

    • Karen acknowledged and thanked all faculty, administrators, staff, students, and everyone: for all you have done and continue to do for all our students, colleagues, and our campus, even as you have so much to do for yourself, for your loved ones; hope all make time for self care. This is an extraordinary time, even for those of us who have been here longer, could not have imagined that we would have the COVID-19 pandemic happening.
    • Karen acknowledged and thanked all the senior staff present in the meeting, including Interim President Christina Epinosa-Pieb and Vice President of Instruction, Lorrie Ranck.
    • Karen reported that many department chairs and one dean have responded; on the bottom of the agenda page there are links to documents for further discussions and reference, as well as responses from departments already submitted to the Academic Senate prior to the meeting.
    • Karen pointed out the following 5 questions and asked for Update from departments that have not submitted update reports.
    1. How are departments and divisions staying in contact, updating and supporting each other? Especially for PT faculty and those who are not teaching or on leave this quarter?
    2. How are the Winter Quarter Finals adaptations/updates going?
    3. How are the departments and programs doing with faculty migrating from F2F to remote/online modalities?
    4. How is messaging being conducted with students? What kinds of student issues are coming to faculty?
    5. What are the ways in which instructional strategies and course scheduling for Winter and Spring are being planned? Who’s at the table/being consulted in decision-making at division and department level?
    • Karen thanked Marc for bringing up that topic. She is heartened by all the compassion being expressed toward one another and for the students.  Lisa Markus had mentioned the FA newsletter and the email update,  The FA has done an excellent job addressing some of these concerns like evaluations, applying for PGA and PAA. Please look at the newsletter.
    • Marc: Women Studies department is small. Two instructors, Marc and Rosanna Alvarez are teaching in the spring quarter; they are doing fine, doing great, the department has been online for 10 years. However, she pointed out the situation where a good number of instructors, including Karen, Dawn, Mari, and Rosanna, have children that they are also expected to be educating at home while still teaching their classes; in addition, some adjuncts, also need to balance teaching at several other institutions; they may need to make things simpler. She asked administrators to consider postponing evaluations for next quarter.
    • Questions and answers for the bookstore: Students on college promise funds can place book orders directly online; they are working on access to eBooks. Bookstore will not be accepting book returns until staff returns to campus starting April 8.
    • Mari: in the Sociology department, faculty have been reaching out to each other via email; most have taught online, except for one part time faculty member, Jan will reach out to help. Student situations parallel concerns reported by Genevive and DASB. Students have limited e-resource, like access to internet, computer, etc; there is not much space, private spaces in their household; students are living with multiple family members, even multiple families within their spaces; that creates a barrier to having uninterrupted times for productive remote learning like conferencing and Zooming.  There is also concern about the expectation that the department chairs in division would step up to lead faculty through all these. In some divisions, department chairs get reassigned times, but some divisions don’t.  There is a need for leadership, the Social Sciences and Humanities Division is operating with Lorrie Ranck as Acting Dean, while the new dean has not come abroad; so there is mixed feedback.  Lastly, people have been sharing and creative in considering alternative resources to Zoom that are not synchronous, yet they still want students to feel connected; there is an alternative, FlipGrid that is
    • Pam explained that it will take a week’s time to work on ways to keep everyone safe and healthy. Bookstore is coming back on April 8 with additional resources to get books and course readers distributed as soon as possible.
    • Tom Dolen, library, agreed with Bob S on the digital divide; the library is providing online reference services; there are questions from student about access to labs, laptop, etc; this will be a challenge for all going forward; library does have a presence online, and will continue to answer reference questions and help students with research. There is one interesting development, some publishers are making their textbook available for free; currently, Cengage, all of their titles are available and should work for our students; there are two other companies that work with publishers, Vitalsource and Redshelf; other community college libraries have been able to use them; however, both Foothill and De Anza have not been able to use them because of the quarter system; Tom will try to get it work through the Counsel of Chief Librarians. This is a major effort for the library to determine what works or not.  Tom encouraged more e-texts for the spring quarter.  He will reach out Dawn for Zoom training to get ready for the spring quarter orientation. Library will have a page up on e-texts and free text access, plus library orientations.
    • Bob Stockwell, political science department: the department has been in communication; most faculty are making transition successfully, wrapping up this quarter and thinking ahead to online delivery next quarter. There are some areas of concern: not sufficient faculty group discussions; support for students, especially around digital divide; support for faculty making transitions, like increased bandwidth. For example, Bob lives in Santa Cruz, there is terrible reception, especially for Zoom; he is using a cell phone for the meeting, but that is not a viable long term solution. FA has put on its agenda a discussion on kinds of faculty support. Bob also made reference to DASB description of challenges faced by the most vulnerable students; he has tried to reach out to students in his classes by emails, next, will contact the unreached by phone; he supports flexibility with grading structure and late P/NP; raised concern about reported long wait for the Canvas helpline; concern over campus bookstore shipping timeline.  Bob went back to his point on the digital divide, the reality of equality and social justice, especially under current circumstances; he advocated being thoughtful in going forward, to think about ways to address these issues.
    • Mehrdad: the Math department had an emergency meeting on the Friday before campus closure. They discussed various possibilities for transition; introduced Zoom and Canvas to faculty who are not familiar; discussed ideas for assessment, test and evaluation, for winter quarter; put all faculty on a Canvas shell to discuss issues, share ideas, and get feedbacks, and also as a way to avoid getting too many emails, from everyone, even publishers offering much appreciated help. Putting the highlights of important information on the Canvas shell is still a work in progress, and requires a lot of work sorting and posting on a regular basis. Student communication is faculty based; students and even faculties are having issues with internet access; there is no school, not even Starbuck to go to for free wifi. Not only students, part-time faculty may also have the same difficulties.  The Math department has a big pool of faculty, many part-time.  Faculty may also have issues with internet access; they need spaces to create material and lectures for their students.  The issues and difficulties for part-time faculties have not shown up in Canvas discussions or emails; but it is something to look into; those faculties definitely need support, there is no school, no Starbuck, nowhere to go, if they don’t have internet access.  As Joseph mentioned, some students have gone back to their home country for the spring quarter; they feel safer at home; would appreciate suggestions on dealing with the impact of the 14-day quarantine on student learning.   He suggested a senate website, for highlighting important information, emails, and notices; also as a forum for feedback and discussion.
    • Mari commented on Tom’s report on library services; great to know that some publishers are making materials available free. Her question is about the bookstore. She made readers and course packs that are available from the bookstore.  She has struggled to upload and copy materials for the first two weeks.  How and when may students access the bookstore to order books.
    • Kathy, FA: There are many components to the evaluation negotiations and they are all in the FA News. Essentially, if faculty is scheduled to teach an online class and that class is planned to be evaluated as a regular online class, that evaluation could go forward; if a class is not planned to be taught online, then there is no requirement for evaluation at all; no one should worry about being evaluated in a class they are not planning to teach in this manner. There is quite a detailed list of cases associated with tenure review, part time faculty, PAA applications, etc in the FA News.
    • Mary P: 3 questions on emergency withdrawal (EW); she is excited to see the removal of documentation requirements for students to request withdrawal.
    • How does a student request an Emergency Withdrawal? and how do we get word out to all students? The link instructs students to send requests directly to Nazy. That seems like an over abundant amount of work for Nazy. How does the process work?
    • What is the time frame or window for requesting an EW? What if a student decides a week from now or even a month from now, that they should have withdrawn from a class?
    • What is the process for a student to request an emergency withdrawal? She feels that the EW will allow students time to regroup themselves, then to re-step, to refocus, and recommit to why they are here and taking classes, but we need to keep them involved. With the emergency withdrawal, how soon can students register for that class again, what is the time frame, because spring quarter is right around the corner.
    • Nazy just recently received permission from the state to process EW without any supportive documentation; that information has been communicated on the college website.
    • Students are to email the EW request to Nazy directly, to get it done before the grades are turned in. It is overwhelming, but it is not a problem; she can handle it, she is used to this kind work. She is trying to process all the requests by the end of each day. That is the process, let the students know, her email is on the website.
    • In the normal petition, there is an extra step, the student fills out and submits the form; the student cannot be certain about the submission being received. With email, at least students can be sure that the request is received. She is trying to be as accommodating as possible; the email confirms the receipt.
    • Russell reported that LA department is fortunate to have three online experts, Anu who is taking notes in chat, Brandon Gainer, Online Ed Representative, and Shagun Kaur, OER State representative, have been mentoring all the faculty to teach online; we have been on Canvas for the past three years; Canvas has resources for teaching GE course fully online; during the last week, most instructors had some experience teaching and sharing in Zoom; there will be more for faculty check-in and to share best practices; maybe even a virtual happy hour. Everyone is still learning and progressing with a lot of support from different directions.
    • Dawn and Karen recognized department reports in chat; Terence for Meteorology, Mae for Asian American Studies, and Jason for Biology.
    • Mary Sullivan (chat): Heidi in a Zoom training earlier suggested doing attendance by having an ice breaker or check-in in the chat area; have each student make a remark.
    • Nazi is not asking for last day of attendance or participation verifcations to grant EW request; even after grades have been posted, she will not be asking instructors to clarify or verify last day of attendance, just need instructor support for withdrawal; student may make last minute and retro request; excused withdrawal does not have a time deadline.
    • There is a question on attendance verification for EW requests.
    • Nazy can see students that have gotten the message; she is getting a lot of requests, they are coming in every minute.
    • (Question and answer in chat) How do students know about this option? It is posted on the coronavirus response page and the A&R home page; DASB has been sending out the word to students regarding the option.
    • If a student does not request EW before final, and if a student has received grade, and the grade is posted and on record, then it will need approval or confirmation from the instructor; after a student received any type of grade, requesting for withdrawal after the fact, that request will go to the instructor for verification, for support; there is no deadline in this case.
    • Follow up question, what is to be on that email to Nazy.
    • No form needs to be attached, just student ID number, email from email address on record, as authentication for the student.
    • Mari wanted clarification on what faculty is to do for help student on EW;
    • Nazy: nothing right now, only if grades have been posted for that student; therefore, it is very time sensitive, it would be best if Nazy gets the requests by this week or next week before grades are posted.

      If a faculty suspects a student may request EW or did not take final, don’t submit a grade for that student, leave the grade blank; even though the college is making all these exceptions; the request for withdrawal still has to come from the student; the student has to request to be withdrawn from the course.
    • Erik: Chemistry is facing many of the same challenges as others have reported; they are doing the best they can. Erik wanted to share with other scientists that the Chancellor’s office is working on a deal with Labster; Labster does a lot with virtual online labs with a variety of topics for biology, ecology, microbiology, chemistry, genetics, etc; people can email Erik for more details.
    • Joe Moreau shared additional reports on Labster. The Chancellor’s Office is considering very seriously licensing Labster for all colleges in the state; The Chancellor’s Office have selected a couple of districts to do proof-of-concept; our district is one of them; Joe has reached out to the VPs and Deans in both colleges; Foothill is very eager to do some testing; at De Anza, Biology is not as thrilled with Labster contents and have come up their own ideas for simulations; Joe has passed those ideas onto the Chancellor’s office; Chemistry and Physics may consider the Labster content. When Joe gets details from the Chancellor’s Office about district participation in the proof-of-concept, he will get the information to the VPs and deans.  Any scientist faculty interested in participating should contact their deans; Joe will inform the deans as soon as he knows the details on the PLC. If there is approval for statewide licensing, it will be administered by OEI and integrated directly into Canvas; there will not be much work for each college to use it.
    • Erik reported on curriculum; he thanked Karen for sending out the Curriculum Committee update last Friday; Curriculum will try to carry on as much normal as possible remotely; people should reach out to Erik and the Curriculum Committee with any issues as soon as possible; they will work with you to find solutions; please review email for important details. Lorrie Ranck has filed an emergency blanket approval with the Chancellor’s office for all classes in the Spring Quarter. Therefore, online or hybrid paperworks are not required for spring classes.
    • Marek has just given the report for Geology and Astronomy in chat.
    • Dawnis reported on the end of quarter PE assessment, many instructors did assessments up to the last day of in-person class meeting. Some continued via Zoom; got creative, had groups of 5 to 6 students check into Zoom for assessment that checked for understanding; everyone has been in constant communication; Dean Erick has been awesome, keeping everyone informed, getting everyone on the same page. It is going to be a challenge for PE and athletics, the lab classes will be interesting; the instructors have been awesome; a lot of the instructors have been Canvas trained; they have come up with creative ways to deliver courses to students, finding alternate assignments and ways for skill assessments. The division will continue with Zoom meetings; to discuss how to develop canvas shells for cardio/strength type classes; to work together and collaborate and come up with new and interesting ways to teach. However, all classes could not be taught in the same way,  There are more oncoming discussions.
    • Christina clarified that faculty are not supposed to grade on attendance or participation. Faculty are required to take attendance for the first two weeks for the census report. She agreed with what Karen just said. She asked faculty to be flexible and for generosity of spirit. She understood how students might like interaction with classmates in a Zoom meeting. She liked the idea of recording the Zoom sessions.  Situations for students may have changed since the time of registration that may make the time not work for the student anymore; grades
    • Shelly, student representative, shared that some students don’t have Zoom access; wanted to make sure students are not graded based on Zoom attendance.
    • Karen commented that it is great to allow flexibility for faculty to use Zoom  synchronously or asynchronously.  She would like to bring this back to the Academic Senate as an agenda item to discuss the pros and cons. There are definitely equity issues to consider that has already been brought up by faculty today; Sal brought up a good point, Zoom is a way of connecting, and provide people with a way of dealing with isolation that we are all dealing with right now; however, there is an equity issue regarding access brought up by Bob and others; there is lot to consider; having flexibility with Zoom for people who don’t have “enterprise” bandwidth; many people don’t have that level of bandwidth; be mindful and flexible in how to deliver content so all students can have access.
    • Lorrie: Zoom is a tool being used right now remotely for the winter; people have jumped on and used it and that is fine; we are not looking for any records. Faculty can be extremely flexible, humane, and reasonable; students are doing the best they can. In the future, Zoom will be available and done on Canvas, it can be done on the phone which is not the greatest. They can get students the needed resources; faculty may choose how to grade and assess students and collect information in the Zoom meeting, up to you , how you.
    • Is there any plan or discussion to allow students now not in the country to take class online without the on campus requirement? What are the plans going forward?
    • Two questions: Students who cannot access Zoom; how are we supporting them; how do we help students who cannot attend Zoom because of time conflicts; is it mandatory for students, can they be graded on Zoom attendance?
    • Christina understood why people like daily briefings. Kudos to Foothill for having them.  She explained how when the move to remote teaching started, Foothill was already over 50% online, De Anza is at about 21%.  Imagine the amount of planning and work, as well as the panic over moving a campus completely online. How to get everyone to move, how to get learning and training. It has been absolutely amazing how everyone is stepping up, moving, and figuring out how to do what needs to be done. This was quite a feat.  They will be doing videos; all the deans are having online office hours; if anyone needs answers; always feel free to reach out to any of the senior staff directly.
    • Lorrie added that deans are having open office hours; it is pretty nice, people can feel free to drop into the dean’s office; she putting information out through the deans and handling things on a case by case basis; as heard in the department report today, everyone is in a different place; and have different things coming up; whether Chem working on labs, Creative Arts working with how to teach music; what to do with PE courses, and how to help support faculty in those areas. She sat in on a department meeting with Psy, just talking through things. They are doing things in a way that makes them more intimate and communicative.
    • Christina: yes. The De Anza senior staff have been focusing on one-on-one communication; working with the deans, getting information and changes to the deans, to send information out to students, out to faculty, out to staff; they have talked about open office hours. The difference between Foothill and De Anza is the greater size and volume. There are 5 senior staff with over 888 faculty, in instruction, 67 in student services. Their priority has been to handle the volume of emails, text messages, concerns and suggestions.  it has been overwhelming; to respond, get answers, and send forms to Sacramento. It was just this weekend that the Chancellor gave the release for EW to bypass the forms and deadlines;  she can see how such meetings can build community; she plans to do that moving forward; probably not this week, but definitely in the spring quarter.
    • Erik attended a Foothill Community Meeting that takes place every Monday morning at 9:30. They are 20-30 minutes long. It seems like a really good way to put out information, give updates, also to build community in these stressful times; asked if Christina or any senior staff may consider something similar for our campus.
    • Online classes come in a number of formats; asynchronously, without a set time, or synchronously, with set times.  Faculty will be getting an email from the scheduling coordinator Kim asking which format they prefer. Faculty may choose to keep class time as scheduled to hold synchronous sessions with students, using Zoom or other means for delivery. If faculty choose to do that, the assigned times would remain in the spring class schedule and students will know to keep that time on hold. Removing all the times and days from all classes, may result in classes with conflicting and overlapping synchronous meetings.
    • There have been a lot of questions about scheduling. About 1600 face-to-face and hybrid classes are moving online, in addition to the scheduled online classes. That is a major shift and everyone is doing it and sticking with it. That is so amazing to see.
    • Lorrie has been working with the Creative Arts Dean Daniel Smith. He is working in collaboration with Communications to get Abode and other softwares. Working through deans to centralize efforts through those who can address questions more promptly.
    • Question: How does Creative Arts get special software students to use for their classes?
    • Pam explained that students were to be able to purchase in the bookstore with promise funds, now they can order online through the bookstore website; the computer will be shipped directly, so they won’t have to come to campus.
    • Question: How and where do students purchase laptops through Promise?
    • Christina updated their plan to provide computers to promise program students. They are also working with business, industry people for new computers, new laptops, new notebooks, not surplus equipment.  There are some laptops available to students through various grants, but it may not be enough; if anyone knows students that need help or a computer, direct them to the senior administrators; or write them individually. There are also companies providing free wifi, free internet access.  There is so much information coming in on resources and help for students that need to go out to the students; as far as scheduling and classes goes, they would like to keep as many people employed as possible; that is the reason for pushing back the cancellation date; and they will be very generous regarding numbers, it will not be 20.
    • Messages and information from senior staff
    • Cynthia is working on a list of community services opportunities for spring classes that include civil engagement; she is getting a lot of good ideas from various faculty members; if anyone has ideas, send them to her; she will be sending out a guide soon.
    • Li Wei reported on the challenges for Child Development. Faculty have been exchanging emails; thinking of ways to make things easier for students. They are struggling with several situations; they have received emails about student layoffs; most schools are now closed. They want to help and support those students. Next quarter, they expect to lose many observation sites; they don’t know if any school will be opened for practicum; students are required to do 120 hour lab work.  How will students fulfill lab requirements; many assignments require observations in real life situations; if schools, preschools, and early childhood programs are still closed in April, how can students do these types of assignments; they are discussing how to change assignments to fit current situations.  Faculty are learning to teach online; there is one instructor who has taught online, she had Zoom meetings for other faculty to participate and learn how to do courses online; all the faculty have had Canvas and Zoom training. The faculty are doing ok; most have built Canvas shells and have used them to support their face-to-face classes, but have not taught fully online; they are encouraging and providing for one another.
    • Students are confused and worried about spring quarter. They are asking if lab classes in the spring will be canceled or held.
    • Christina: The current plan is for all courses to be taught, that includes lab courses; faculties are working on them right now; absolutely want to offer lab courses;
    • Bill Roeder gave a report for ES/ESC in chat; Daniel for Anthropology; Patricia Guitron for Counselling.
    • There is concern about faculty, especially adjuncts, who are struggling but not speaking; what can we do to support them?
    • Lorrie: department chairs have been reaching out; more and more people are jumping on board, trying to get into this; it is overwhelming. But, once they get in, their eyes open up, they see what is possible; there is engagement from all kinds of places; engagement from peers, engagement from chairs, engagement from deans. It is important to let them know that there are resources
    • There are about 888 faculty at De Anza on the instructional side. Many are now trained on Canvas. Completing the abbreviated Canvas training, Canvas Core, gives provincial certification for the spring quarter. Out of 888 faculty, only 128 have not been trained.  A number of faculty are fully trained in Canvas; that means going forward, they can teach online or hybrid.  We are making really good progress;  people are participating, learning, having a good time; there are emails flying back and forth, people are coming to virtual open labs; there is help, we will reach out, do some targeted outreach. There are places for them to get help.
    • Question: If faculty don’t have reliable printing at home or access to services, can they come to campus? How could those faculty get support?
    • People may come to campus; but require prior notification to their deans; people cannot come in a group, must maintain safe social distance; the resources are available; however, do your best to find alternative methods and resources; work with your dean for the right information; and keep the district police informed.
    • Sal shared his thoughts on synchronous vs asynchronous teaching; he taught about 8 classes via Zoom this week, about 90% of students were able to attend, many used their phones, that is less than ideal. He is glad to hear about laptops being available to students. Many students comment on the importance of having actual physical contact with other students. They are feeling isolated in their homes and wanted contacts with students they have been with all quarter. That social aspect of the Zoom meeting was very successful; Zoom meetings were recorded for students not able to attend to watch later; students reported that it worked well for them; Zoom allows both to happen. They were able to meet synchronously and asynchronously; he also used Zoom for students to breakout into smaller spaces for discussion and activity.  This led him to consider the physical needs of students; also to think about the mental health for people isolated in their homes for weeks and weeks. He also brought up the need for access to whiteboard and other technologies in Zoom; to make presentations more dynamic and multimedia. He asked about rolling out add codes earlier; for students to get in classes on the first day on Canvas and on Zoom; so that students can be present and ready in the synchronous meetings; he has witnessed a lot of faculty support for each other.
    • Erik expressed appreciation for all the responses. Communications from the deans are important; holding open office hours is a good way to go; a lot of communication from his dean has came through email, which is great; but it does lack that personal touch; he also wondered how effectively information are filtering down; he realized there are a lot going on; but it would be good for our community for more communication and transparency, sooner is better than later .
    • Christina thanked Erik for that perspective.
    • Student Services have moved to working remotely; all student service areas have made those adjustments as well as possible; student services are being provided online, using Zoom, email, and phone; they are streamlining the process wherever possible, not needing students to complete forms, etc. They are being more responsive to student needs. For example, computers are being available to students on loan. Those are outreach computers used for new student orientations in workshop settings.  While everything is online, those laptops could go to students who need them. Erick Aragon is working with campus police to put computers where students can have access; Lisa on financial aid is responding to student emails on a daily basis, hundreds of emails, on financial aid, and emergency funds. The student services link on the coronavirus page updates resources available to students on a daily basis. Everyone is working really hard and doing a wonderful job to make sure students are not adversely impacted during this difficult time.  They have reached out, cut red tape, doing whatever it takes to help students; they will continue to carry this forward into the spring quarter; feel free to reach out with questions. Everyone is trying their best to respond to student needs, whether it is basic needs, computers, and other services.
    • Questions from chat: Can we roll out add codes earlier, to let students join and get prepared for online classes
    • Nazy explained why it is not advisable or doable.  She cautioned and reminded everyone how the whole system, the whole setup, had to be changed to move instruction a week later than scheduled.  That was a very complicated banner change, and things are still not finalized. She is already overwhelmed with registration logistics; how to smoothly add students and drop by the new deadlines. She is concerned about adding yet a new and not tested system. Technically, it is possible, if there are at least 2 terms to thoroughly test the system. She pleaded with faculty not to ask them to do that, adding one more component to a very complicated process without testing may be disastrous. Add codes will be available Friday night before the day of instruction.
    • should be based on learning and outcomes, not attendance; she asked faculty for flexibility in attendance.
    • Nazy has been trying to keep up with students in other countries, international students who have returned to their countries and to address their situations. If the classes are fully online and students take classes in their own countries, the college cannot assure full access nor have control over their access to the classes. Some countries have censorship that blocks access to certain contents. Students may end up going to youtube for related materials that are different from the materials taught in the courses..
    • There are questions in the chat that are being answered; Karen asked for final words from senior staff before moving back to department updates.
    • Christina thanked everyone for their flexibility and kindness to the student. That is what matters the most. Right now, it is all about kindness, flexibility, respect, and care, about care for yourselves so that you can take care of our students and your families. There was a confusion over an email that came out where people thought that they couldn’t have any kids.  As Marc has brought up earlier, the senior staff wholeheartedly have talked about families, people with children at home that they are trying to educate at the same time; they do realize that it is going to be hard for everyone.  Let them know what they could do to help.  Some people have asked about computers for faculty. It was easier for the staff. Staff were allowed to take their computers home with them and they did; some took scanners, computer chairs, reams of paper, etc to work from home. They are trying to reach out with various modes of communication, like texting, emailing, banner, website; All the communications are centralized on the Coronavirus website. They are updating the website constantly with available resources for students and faculty, like free internet, wifi,  Sometimes, as Erik and others have expressed, it is too much to read; they will be setting up chat, video office hours. She has heard a lot today and would like to be more out there for everyone, be more visible as the quarter begins.  She hoped everyone would get some down time.
    • Mari would like to strongly suggest faculty to be more flexible considering all the challenges students are facing. Sne brought up the idea of contract grading. It is a style of grading that emphasizes work and labor rather than volume, and it deemphasizes grades.  It can be set up in various ways.  It allows students the flexibility to choose what they will or able to complete in terms of tasks or assignments. Be kind, flexible and err on the side of generosity for students during this time. She asked instructors not to make Zoom mandatory for students. It is really difficult for some students, especially those back in their home countries that are in different time zones, to be able to Zoom synchronously; definitely make recordings for students to view at other times; allow other means of participation for students. Many students are looking for jobs, if they find a job, students may not have the same schedule that they had when they signed up for classes. With all the classes moving online, especially PT faculty who may have never taught online, be assured that right now, it is just a crisis mode. Faculty are being inundated with different webinars on how to make classes dazzling, even great. It is overwhelming to move into new modes of instruction one has never worked with. Need to keep reassuring faculty that is is ok to do just good enough; good enough teaching is important, just like good enough studenting is important; take it down a notch in terms of expectations for ourselves and for our students as we moved into the unprecedented era of online instruction; lots of students did not sign up for online classes for different reasons.
    • Dawn reported more department updates in chat: Daniel for Anthro; Mary P for CIS; Patty for Counseling.
    • Will: Psychological Services has completed transition to working from home staffed with Will and three part-time faculty. They are set up to start seeing clients on Wednesday. Currently, they are offering 25 min check-in Zoom sessions for students. There are seven students in the process of being scheduled for appointments. They will update procedures on the website. The only current requirements for scheduling appointments are student ID and email. Phone service is another option for students who may not have access to Zoom; some are returning students, some are new students who have reached out; He expected demands to grow over time; they are well prepared for the current load.
    • Diana described the fast ramp up to Zoom tutoring; they have trained about 70 tutors. The tutors have helped about 50 students already. All information is on the Student Success Center website. All the information heard here will be passed to tutors that are good resources. For students who could get online, the tutors are very enthusiastic about doing everything they can to help follow students.
    • Dawn gave a quick update on the Office of Professional Development. They have been working closely with Online Ed to coordinate training, she has been covering training on using Zoom; chat has the link to training sessions this week; she has been working closely with Heidi and Dave to make sure faculty needs are met.

    IV. Good of the Order

    • Nazy: The class schedule keeps the same meeting times. She is expecting time conflicts all over the place. Students are not allow to register for classes with conflicting times
    • Christina: The email Lorrie mentioned earlier is really important for resolving some of the time conflict issues. The email will ask if faculty want to keep any of the scheduled hours to conduct synchronous class meetings via Zoom or other means. Faculty may choose to keep just one, some, or all of those hours. Please keep in mind that there may be students out of the area; record sessions to allow some flexibility.

      They will keep classes as scheduled until instructors inform them of their decision to keep all, or some, or none of the scheduled hours; then it will be changed accordingly in the system immediately, publicized, and make it known to students. Then, students can be free to do other things, including jobs that they may be getting.

      Christina expressed her appreciation and apology to the counsellors for having to deal with and explain the schedule issues as they worked with students.
    • Karen acknowledged all 105 people still in the meeting; for a positive ending to the meeting and in the spirit of community building, everyone wished her son Kai a happy 10th birthday. Everyone sang Happy Birthday via Zoom to Kai and Bob Kalpin, both celebrating birthdays in shelter.
    • Karen thanked everyone for being present, for everything being done for each other and to help students. Acknowledged that everyone is overstretched; encouraged everyone to assume the best intention; try to give everyone flexibility, to answer emails within 36, 48 hours. Many, like her, may still be buried under piles of grading. Administration has been in Zoom meetings constantly. She thanked the staff that are holding down the physical campus, mostly Pam and her crew, while the rest of us are sheltering in place; thanks to Anu for the great summary in chat; thanks to Dawn for her amazing Zoom skills; Dawn, Heidi, Dave, and the Online Distance team for delivering training on Zoom.
    • Susan: these are challenging times; it is important for faculty to reach out to students, to set up some expectation for them as to what to look for in the spring; make that personal contact via email; send them the link to the Wellness Central  Canvas Shell on the Online Education Homepage. It is a good place for students to practice navigating through Canvas. She suggested putting an introduction video in Canvas for students. Record the video in Zoom and send it to students before quarter starts.

    V. Adjournment

    • Erick moved, Terrence seconded, to adjourn. No objections.

     Executive Commitee Members:




     Karen Chow-


    Mary Pape

    Vice President 

    So Kam Lee

    Notetaker/Secretary (F19)

    Ishmael Tarikh-PT  

     Representss part-time faculty

    Mary Donahue - PT 

     Represents part-time faculty


     Applied Technologies

    Pete Vernazza 

     Applied Technologies

    Bob Kalpin

     Biological, Health & Environmental Sciences

    Anna Miller

     Biological, Health & Enviromental Sciences



     Business, Computer Science


     Mary Pape

     Business, Computer Science


     Creative Arts


     Ilan Glasman

    Creative Arts 

     Nellie Vargas

     Child Development

    Betty Inoue


    Barb Dahlke


    Anita Vazifdar

     Disability Support Program & Services

    Kevin Glapion

     Disability Support Program & Services

    So Kam Lee

     Intercultural/International Studies

    Marc Coronado

     Intercultural/International Studies

    Terrence Mullens

     Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering

    Lisa Mesh

     Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering

    Shagun Kaur

     Language Arts

    Julie Wilson

     Language Arts


    Susan Thomas

     Social Studies & Humanities

    Daniel Solomon

     Social Studies & Humanities

    Louise Madrigal 

     Physical Education & Athletics

    Rusty Johnson

     Physical Education & Athletics

    Tom Dolen

     Learning Resources

    Ceclia Hui

    Learning Resources

    Mary Sullivan

     Student Development

    Cynthia Kaufman

     Equity & Engagement

    Erik Woodbury

    Curriculum Committee

    Guests Present (✔)




    Thomas Ray

    Administrative Representative

    Paige Wallace

    DASB Representative


    Bob Stockwell

    Faculty Association

    Christina Espinosa-Pib

    Interim De Anza President

    Rob Miesa

    VP of Student Services

    Lorrie Ranck

    Actin VP of Instruction

    Pam Grey

    Interim VP of Administrative Services

     Hyon Chu Yi-Baker

    Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs

     Marisa Spatafore

    Associate VP of Communications & External Relations

     Stephanie Serna

    Classified Senate President


     Genevieve Kola

     De Anza Student Trustee

     Mallory Newell-

     Institutional Research


     Moaty Fayek

    Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems


     Renee Augenstein

    Articulation Officer


     Mary Bennett

    Tenure Review Coordinator

     Daniel Smith

    Dean of Creative Arts


     Eric Mendoza

     Dean of Physical Education and Athletics

     Alicia Cortez

    Dean of Equity and Engagement


     Randy Bryant

    Dean Isaac Escotoreer & Technical Education (CTE)

     Isaac Escoto

    Foothill Academic Senate President


     Mary Pape

    FHDA District Academic Senate President

     Pam Grey

    Associate VP of College Operations

     Laureen Balducci

    Dean of Counseling, DSPS & Title IX Coordinator


     Anita Kandula

    Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences


     Michele LeBleu-Burns

    Dean of Student Development/EOPS


     Lisa Mandy

    Director of Financial Aid


     Nazy Gayloyan

    Dean of Enrollment Services

     Edmundo Norte

    Dean of Intercultural/International Studies


     Jerry Rosenberg

    Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering


     Judy Miner

    FHDA Chancellor


     Dawn Lee Tu

    Faculty Director of Office of Professional Development


    Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities


     Patrick Gannon

    Director, Book Store


     David Ulate

    FHDA Research & Planning

     Mae Lee

    Curriculum Committee Vice-Chair

     Eric Mendoza

     Dean of Physical Education and Athletics

Documents and Links

Back to Top