Events Fall 2023
Click here for the event recordin: LInk to ZOOM
Event Decription: It can be scary to hear about events happening in the Middle East on the news, and difficult to learn and find information about them.
This event will provide information about the history of the area and current political conflict.
- Joel Beinin- Professor Middle East History, emeritus Stanford University
- Fadi Saba, a stateless refugee, Palestinian-American and advocate for human rights
Sponsored by VIDA, Jewish Voice for Peace South Bay and Muslim Student Association De Anza and Foothill
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Events Winter 2022
Winter Showcase: Racial Justice and the Crisis of Democracy
This year the college has been reading "The Purpose of Power: How We Come Together When We Fall Apart" by Alicia Garza.
The Winter Showcase encourages everyone to come together and build our campus community by collectively addressing the crises of our time.
We welcome all types of student presentations: workshops, roundtables, interactive activities or games, videos, performances (musical, theatrical, dance, spoken word, TikToks, Twitch events, personalized Zoom backgrounds, etc)
Creative thinking and stepping outside of boxes are encouraged.
Events Spring 2021
Student Voices United for Change 2021
Student Voices United for Change
Thursday 4/29 1:30-3:30pm and Friday 4/30 10am-12pm!
Hosted by VIDA, HEFAS, OCL, DASG, & ICC
May Day! International Workers Day at De Anza
About the Event
May Day, also known as International Worker’s Day, is celebrated to honor the struggle for working people’s rights. It began as a worldwide display of solidarity following the 1886 Haymarket Rally in Chicago where unionized workers were killed while striking in support of the 8-hour workday. Since 2006 it has also been a time to actively protest for the rights of immigrants. De Anza College asks you to participate in this event highlighting the history of the fight for the rights of workers and immigrants, the contributions of essential workers, and become more familiar with what it has meant for many of us to be in unions.
Special Guests Speakers: Jean Cohen, President, South Bay Labor Council; Salvador Bustamante, LUNA, Latinos in Action; Akubundu Amazu-Lott, The All-African People’s Revolutionary Party (A-APRP); FHDA Employee Unions
Poetry Performance by Santa Clara County Poet: Laureate Janice Sapigao
Events Winter 2021
This year's conference will be held in two parts, as we explore the theme of "Unforgetting: Family, Migration, Healing."
Part 1: Harvest of Empire
- Film screening and discussion
- Tuesday, Feb. 23, 10 a.m. – Noon
Part 2: Robert Lovato
- Hear from the author of "Unforgetting: A Memoir of Family, Migration, Gangs, and Revolution in the Americas"
- Thursday, Feb. 25, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Assault on Democracy: Roots and Repair
The Assault on Democracy was a space to reflect on recent events – specifically the assault of the capitol in Jan. 6, 2021 – and to encourage students to explore ideas about the process of repairing democracy.
The Jan. 26 event was facilitated by instructors Robert Stockwell, Sal Breiter and Wendy White. It was sponsored by VIDA and the Equity and Engagement Division at De Anza College.
Day of Remembrance: Feb. 18, 2021
Join us for Organizing for Redress: Japanese-American Internment, Immigrant Detention and Reparations for Slavery
Speakers will include Tom Izu, Susan Hayase, Amber Keiko Aochi, Christina Pham and Nicholas Pope
- Thursday, Feb. 18, 2021
- 1:30-3:20 p.m.
Many people know that Japanese Americans throughout the U.S. commemorate Feb. 19 each year as a “Day of Remembrance” to remember the forced removal and mass incarceration of their community during World War II. But few know its connection to the grassroots struggle that Japanese Americans waged to win redress for the massive violation of their rights.
Reports and Resources
- VIDA open house October 30, 2018 Click Here!
- A Conversation With Luis Cortes Romero, Attorney and DREAMer October 24, Click Here!
- Speaker Fan Shingang October 10, 2018 Click Here!
- VIDA Project Fair October 03, 2018 Click Here!
Balancing Academics and Activism Click Here!
- Rethinking Accreditation event January 17, 2017 Click Here!
- Project Fair Winter 2017 Click here!
- Washington Post Featuring De Anza Student Click Here!
- Notes & Votes Concert 2016 Click Here
- Progressive Elections Forum 2016 Click Here
- LSC Graduation 2015 Photos Click Here
- VIDA Presents: Housing Is a Human Right! Click Here
- 2016 Democratic Debate Watch Party! Click Here
- Raise Your Voice and Vote Click Here!
- Progressive Election Forum Click Here!
- VIDA open house Click Here!
- A Conversation With Luis Cortes Romero, Attorney and DREAMer Click Here!
- Speaker Fan Shingang Click Here!
- VIDA Project Fair Click Here!
- Pass the Torch
- VIDA Open House
- VIDA Study Hall