General Meeting Information
Date: October 23,
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 2:30 2:35 p.m. Welcome I Chow 2:35 - 2:40 p.m. Approval of Agenda & Notes from October 16, 2017 A Chow 2:40 - 2:50 p.m. Needs & Confirmations I/D/A Nguyen 2:50 - 3:10 p.m. WMST Request (2nd reading/discussion) I/D/A Chow 3:10 - 3:30 p.m. AP 4235 Credit By Exam revised draft (1St reading/discussion)
Chow 3:30 - 3:50 p.m. AP 4020 Program and Curriculum Development revised draft (1st reading/discussion) Chow 3:50 - 4:20 p.m.
Committee and Taskforce Reports:
- Enrollment Advisory Team (EAT)
- IPBT Updates to Guidelines Division Request (deadline October 31)
- Senate subcommittees
4:20 - 4:25 p.m.
Meeting Evaluation (On effectiveness of the meeting advancing academic & professional matters and the principles equity)
I/D All 4:25 - 4:30 p.m.
Good of the Order and Appreciations
REMINDER: 10/30 Joint Senates Meeting with Foothill at Foothill campus (room location TBD, most likely Toyon Room)
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
- Went around the room to introduce senate members to the new representatives, Laura Chin (Political Science) and Mylinh Pham (History) from SSH
- Name cards requested by senators (Alicia)
Approval of Agenda and Notes from October 16, 2017
- No objections- approved
Needs and Confirmations
- Needs and confirmation Excel Sheet
- We are almost at a full senate :)
- Needs reviewed
- Voting on tenure committees (see spreadsheet) Approved, no objections (all tenure committees presented), dept change noted for Maryalice Bonilla (English not, esl - at-large)
- Voting on new member to Campus Facilities - Approved, no objections
- SSPBT (Student Services Planning and Budget Team) - question regarding voting member, explanation ensued - Approved, no objections
- Concern brought up again regarding wait time for Keys and fobs. May be time to revisit the process with campus operations.
WMST Request (2nd reading/discussion)
- Karen reminded everyone of the memos from Marc Coronado and Edmundo Norte supporting her request
- Motion to move forward to approve the request (Mary Sullivan)
- Amendment: Approve the list of WMST courses Marc proposed to satisfy the ICS GE requirement
for the De Anza A.A./A.S. degree and also create a subcommittee of Senate and Curriculum
to determine criteria and process for any future requests for courses to satisfy GE
requirements for the De Anza A.A./A.S. degree (Mary Pape)
- Second (Chris Dileonardo)
- Vote - 22 in favor/ no opposition or abstentions
- Motion to move from creation of a subcommittee of senate and curriculum for future decisions of course assignment to GE areas (Erik Woodbury) - withdrawn
- Amendment: Approve the list of WMST courses Marc proposed to satisfy the ICS GE requirement for the De Anza A.A./A.S. degree and also create a subcommittee of Senate and Curriculum to determine criteria and process for any future requests for courses to satisfy GE requirements for the De Anza A.A./A.S. degree (Mary Pape)
- Discussion - should a motion for a general education review subcommittee be included in the current discussion and vote or should it be added to the future agenda (Chris Dileonardo)
- Contribution from area dean (Edmundo)
AP 4235 Credit By Exam revised draft (!st reading discussion)
- Discussion over list of challengeable courses in the College Catalog
- Proposed changes:
- Board Policy (Current)
- Appears that faculty are not aware of the list. Mia Breen pointed out that department
chairs are emailed every year by Marketing to check section in the College Catalog
and inform them of any changes/updates.
- "Curricular process" at this time does not include curriculum committee, goes through VPI. This process may need to be clarified
- Does this policy allow for periodic review of the list by discipline faculty? No timeline appears to be associated
- Are lab classes allowed to be awarded credit by examination?
- Procedure states that he discipline faculty are primary determinants of Credit by Exam..
- Office of Instruction has oversight of maintaining a list. Does not appear to be including discipline faculty.
- Any additional changes or comments should be brought to the next meeting, where this draft AP 4235 will come back for approval to take it to the next level of review/approval at Academic and Professional matters (APM).
AP 4020 Program and Curriculum Development revised draft (1st reading discussion)
- Proposed AP 4020 Program and Curriculum
- No feedback at this time
- Karen will be bringing both V and VI to senate this week in the second hour of the meeting. The she will put it out for action for approval so that it can be taken back to Academic and Professional Matters with comments (if needed).
- Enrollment Advisory Team (EAT) - No update at this time
- IPBT Updates to Guidelines Division Request (deadline October 31) - Deans were notified for instructional equipment request. Help sheets were reviewed. Deans should have shared this information with department chairs.
- Curriculum - First round of classes for updates, including cross listed courses, which is a new process. Please notify your faculty that if there is a course that is cross listed there is an additional step.
- Starfish - Starfish is an early notification system that allows faculty to track students in classes and refer them to assistance they may need. Foothill currently uses it, De Anza is rolling it out campuswide Fall 18 and there is a pilot running at De Anza now..
- Senate subcommittee -- None
(On effectiveness of the meeting advancing & professional matters and the principles of equity)
Cecilia Deck expressed appreciation for listening to her concern about the Credit by Examinations list and discipline faculty not being aware of them. Agreement and appreciation was expressed all around for good, respectful, discussion.
Good of the Order and Appreciations
REMINDER: 10/30 Joint Senates meeting with Foothill at Foothill campus )room location TBD, most likely Toyon Room)
- For questions about key request, contact 650-949-7974 Doug Grant - In charge of Lock Shop.
- Karen asked for feedback about the new Academic Senate Monday Digest sent to the all-faculty listserv
- Transfer Day is on 10/26 Thursday from 10:00-1:00 PM in the Main Quad
- Free Flu Shots for Students-- 10/25 Wednesday and 10/26 Thursday from 10:00-2:00 PM in Campus Center Don Bautista
- Hearty applause and congratulations were raised to La Voz journalism students and Cecilia Deck for garnering 15 awards at the Journalism Association of Community Colleges NorCal Conference, which was hosted at De Anza on Oct. 21. Cecilia Deck was also elected president of JACC’s Northern California region for 2018-19
Officers and Senators
Executive Committee Members Present
Name Position Present Karen Chow President Y Jim Nguyen Vice President Y Alicia Del Toro Executive Secretary/Treasurer Y Yael Karmi PT Y Mary Donahue PT Y Paul Klingman App Tech Y John Walton App Tech Y Bob Kalpin BHES Y Peter Miskin BHES Y Mia Breen Bus/CIS Y Mary Pape Bus/CIS Y Milena Grozeva Levy CA Y Elizabeth Mjelde (on PDL in Fall) CA Nellie Vargas CD&E Robert Alexander (Paul Wethington on leave) Counseling Y Rob Clem Counseling Y Vacancy DSPS Maria Delas DSPS Y Vacancy IIS Hua-Fu Liu ICS/IIS Y Cheryl Balm PSME Y Chris DiLeonardo PSME Vacancy PSME Iva Tracey LA Y Cecilia Deck LA Y Laura Chin SSH Y My Linh Pham SSH Y Arden Kragalott PE Y Scott Hertler PE Y Tom Dolen LR Y Mary Sullivan SD Y Eric Woodbury Curriculum Committee Y
Name Position Present Brian Murphy DA Pres Stacey Cook VPSS Christina Espinosa-Pieb VPI Susan Cheu VPFCO Lorrie Ranck AVPI TBA OSOD Marisa Spatafore Mktng Anastasia Soenjoto DASB Y Bob Stockwell FA Y Lorna Maynard CS Y Elias Kamal Student Trustee Mallory Newell IR Moaty Fayek Dean BS/CIS Renee Augenstein Articulation Mary Bennett Tenure Review Sheila White-Daniels Dean Counseling Nancy Canter Dean CA Alicia Cortez Interim Dean, Equity and Engagement Coleen Lee Wheat Dean PE Isaac Escoto FH Academic Senate Mayra Cruz District Academic Senate President Pam Grey AVPCO Stacey Shears DSP&S Anita Kandula Dean BHES Michele LeBleu-Burns Dean, Stud Dev/EOPS Rob Mieso Associate VP of Student Services Lisa Mandy Dir Finan Aid Tamica Ward Enrollment Services Dean Edmundo Norte Dean IIS Y Thomas Ray Dean LA Jerry Rosenberg Dean PSME Judy Miner Chancellor Dawn Tu Lee Office of Professional Development Y Carolyn Wilkins-Green Dean SSH Kelly Swanson Book Store Mary Pape SLO David Ulate FHDA Research & Planning