General Meeting Information
Date: November 26,
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 2:30 - 2:35 p.m. Approval of Agenda & Minutes from November 5 Meeting A
2:35 - 2:55 p.m. Needs and Confirmations I/D/A Pape 2:55 - 3:15 p.m. Senate Taskforce on Course Scheduling & Enrollment Management (Updated & 2nd read of charge, mission, committee composition) I/D/A
3:15 - 3:30 p.m. Policing task Force Report I/D Stockwell 3:30 - 3:45 p.m. Campus and District Smoking Policy (2nd read & action)
3:45 - 3:55 p.m. UndocuAlly Request (2nd discussion & action) I/D/A Nava 3:55 - 4:05 p.m. California Virtual Campus Online Education Initiative (CVC – OEI) I/D Chow 4:05 - 4:25 p.m. Guided Pathways Work & College Convocation I/D Chow 4:25 - 4:35 p.m. Good of the Order and Appreciations I All
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
Approval of Agenda & Minutes from November 5 meeting
- Motion of approval of agenda by Cheryl, seconded by Mary S
- Motion of approval of mins by Cheryl, seconded by Mary S
Needs and Confirmations
- Kevin requested that the list of faculty names for consideration for confirmation not be sent out until after the deadline for submitting names.
- Deadline for faculty to submit names for consideration for confirmation is Friday by 1pm for confirmation at the following Monday’s
- Results of vote:
- Mary Bennett and Kevin Glapion for Dean of DSPS Hiring committee
- Mary Donahue and Dawnis Guevara for Dean of PE/Athletics Hiring committee
- Susan Tavernetti and Yael Karmi for Dean of Creative Arts
Senate Taskforce on Course Scheduling & Enrollment Management (Updated & 2nd read of charge, mission, committee composition)
- Ishmael provided a summary of the changes that were made to the documents.
- Rob noted that counselors are not staff, but rather faculty, and it was proposed that one of the three faculty serving be from counseling; staff positions would be reduced to one.
- Mary Sullivan made a motion to vote on the updated task force guidelines/composition with an additional counseling faculty and decreasing the number of classifieds to one. Motion Seconded by Susan Thomas.
- discussion- none
- Motion was approved with no opposition and no abstention.
Policing Task Force Report
- Bob provided a summary of the recommendations of the Community Policing Taskforce (CPT)
- Karen asked: Can anyone attend the candidates' public forums for the hiring of the district chief?
- Bob will bring back an updated draft for Senate approval.
- Some faculty task force members would be interested in continuing the work of the committee.
- Contact Bob Stockwell for suggestions.
Campus and District Smoking Policy (2nd read & action)
- Motion to approve the recommendation to the district with changes presented by Mary S, by Mary D. Seconded by Rob Clem (both identified as former smokers)
- Discussion- concern about the level of policing around 100% no smoking policy.
- Susan noted that the policy should use “and” instead of “or”
- In favor (14), 2 abstentions- passed.
- Final version of proposed smoking policy which was approved to recommend to the district
UndocuAlly Request (2nd discussion & action)
- Requesting $550 to support workshops in Fall, Winter, and Spring
- Motion for $450 for snacks, and bring their own water bottle by Mary D
- Mary S seconded, encouraged to include wording to encourage less water bottle usage
- Bob would like to provide $550 to cover the entire period
- Mary S - friendly amendment to the motion, that we retain the $550 with a request that they consider environmentally friendly water (and other environmentally friendly options). Mary D accepted the friendly amendment
- 17 support, no opposition, no abstentions
California Virtual Campus Online Education Initiative (CVC – OEI)
- Brandon Gainer’s presentation based on this PPT:
- Faculty would like information on how to gain access to Name Coach
- How do the courses work when there are series and our course is on quarters while students coming from other CCC may be on semester?
Guided Pathways Work & College Convocation
- Item was deferred to following week.
- Save the Date: College convocation day Feb 22nd at the Kirsch Center
- Plan: morning session will be focused on Guided Pathways
Good of the Order and Appreciations
- Mary S announcements (she will send to Karen)
Officers and Senators
Executive Committee Members Present
Name Position Present Karen Chow President Y Mary Pape Vice President Y Alicia Del Toro Executive Secretary/Treasurer Y Ishmael Tarikh PT Y Mary Donahue PT Y Paul Klingman App Tech Vacancy App Tech Bob Kalpin BHES Gayatri Pal BHES Y Mia Breen Bus/CIS Mary Pape Bus/CIS Y Ron Dunn CA Y Vacancy CA Julie Kennedy CD&E Betty Inouye Counseling Y Rob Clem Counseling Y Kevin Glapion DSPS Anita Vazdifar DSPS Y Catie Cadge Moore ICS/IIS Y Veronica Neal ICS/IIS Cheryl Balm PSME Y Lisa Mesh PSME Y Iva Tracey LA Y Kim Palmore LA Y Susan Thomas SSH Y MyLinh Pham SSH Y Louise Madrigal PE Y Vacancy PE Tom Dolen LR Y Mary Sullivan SD Y Eric Woodbury Curriculum Committee
Name Position Present Thomas Ray Administrator Liaison Y Josephine Lukius DASB Representative Bob Stockwell Faculty Association Y Christina Espinosa-Pieb Interim De Anza President Rob Mieso VP of Student Services Lorrie Ranck Acting VP of Instruction Susan Cheu VP of Administrative Services Hyon Chu Yi-Baker Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs Marisa Spatafore Associate V of Communications & External Relations Lorna Maynard Classified Senate President Y Hayman Wong De Anza Student Trustee Mallory Newell Institutional Researcher Moaty Fayek Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems Renee Augenstein Articulation Officer Mary Bennett Tenure Review Coordinator Sheila White-Daniels Dean of Counseling Vacancy Dean of Creative Arts Alicia Cortez Dean of Equity and Engagement Sam Bliss Interim Dean of Physical Education Isaac Escoto FH Academic Senate President Carolyn Holcroft FHDA District Academic Senate President Pam Grey Associate VP of College Operations Stacey Shears Dean of Disability Support Programs & Services Anita Kandula Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences Michele LeBleu-Burns Dean of Student Development/EOPS Lisa Mandy Director of Financial Aid Vacancy Dean of Enrollment Services Edmundo Norte Dean of Intercultural/International Studies Jerry Rosenberg Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering Judy Miner FHDA Chancellor Dawn Lee Tu Faculty Director of Office of Professional Development Carolyn Wilkins-Greene Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities Kelly Swanson Director, Book Store David Ulate FHDA Research & Planning Michael Nijmeh La Voz Y Stephanie Lam La Voz Y