General Meeting Information

Date: January 28, 2019
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    2:30 - 2:35 p.m.

    Approval of Agenda & Minutes January 14 Meeting

    • Chow
    • All
    2:35 - 2:45 p.m.

    Needs and Comfirmations

    I/D/A Pape
    2:45 - 3:15 p.m. Student Learning Outcome Assessment Form & Curriculum Process (1st discussion) I/D
    • Pape
    • Chow
    3:15 - 3:45 p.m. Board Policy and Administrative Policy 4100 Graduation Requirements for Degrees and Certificates (2nd Read/Discussion) I/D Chow
    3:45 - 4:15 p.m.

    Board Policy and Administrative Policy 4230 Grading and Academic records (1st Read/Discussion)


    4:15 - 4:25 p.m.

    Draft of New Senate Dues Form (2nd read)


    De Toro
    4:25 - 4:30 p.m.

    Good of the Order



    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes

    Meeting Minutes

    Approval of Agenda & Minutes January 14 meeting
    • Agenda approved
    • Minutes approved

    Needs and Confirmations
    • Discussion of the Add Code Task Force (District level), which Lorrie Ranck and Joe Moreau invited Executive Committee Senators to serve on.
      • Volunteers so far include Betty Inoue, Paul Klingman, and Mary Pape.  Karen encouraged Senators to share

    Student Learning Outcome Assessment Form & Curriculum Process (1st discussion) 
    • Karen announced that Mary Pape would review what was promised in the college’s March 6, 2018, Follow-Up Report to ACCJC, our accreditation agency regarding SLOs, and, that following her presentation, Tim Shively (FA President) would present the FA concerns regarding this promise. Discussion and questions will take place after both of these presentations.
    • Mary showed presentation on the connection between the SLO form and accreditation.
    • Tim Shively presented “A timeline for the curriculum committee SLO Form” to open up the discussion of his concern regarding the form. The college’s Follow Up Report to ACCJC which described the form and its use in Curriculum was written and submitted to ACCJC in March 2018.  However, Curriculum did not approve the form until June 2018. The form and its use as a required part of the Curriculum Review process was never formally approved by the Academic Senate. Also, Tim referenced the faculty contract section 10.7 which states that Curriculum is a “primary duty” of faculty, but that SLO assessment is not.  He pointed out that SLO work was negotiated as work that part-time faculty would do for compensation, as a means of achieving more parity in pay with FT faculty.  To require FT faculty to have to do SLO work as a condition of getting Curriculum reviewed would be seen by FA as a violation of the Agreement. Tim suggested that Academic Senate vote to stop the use of the SLO Assessment Form and remove the form from the Curriculum website.
    • Mary D. asked about the contract regarding Part-time faculty being paid for doing SLO work for their own courses? Is it true that a class that has not had a SLOAC completed will be deleted? This is a complex issue according to Karen (she visually represented the situation on the whiteboard).  Karen referenced the follow-up report for the accreditation committee, which Mary P. had just summarized. In that report to the accreditation committee, there was a promise made to include an SLO Assessment progress form in the curricular process. The form was approved by the Curriculum Committee in June 2018, but not by the Academic Senate. 
    • Mae Lee, Curriculum Chair, reported Curriculum Advisory Team (CAT) feedback on the SLO form process. The CAT team says that the decision is to be determined by faculty and they will support that decision. SLO assessment is not part of the state requirements for the curricular process. 
    • Point of clarification (requested by Shagundeep)- Currently, the SLO is part of the curriculum process? Answer: Yes. 
    • Mary D. asked: Is there an easy solution to this problem? Karen answered that we (Academic Senate) will determine one.  Senate will work with FA, SLO committee, and Accreditation team members.
    • Kim P. and Bob S. voiced concern about the process to bring this form about and suggests removal of the current requirement of the SLO  form (non-obligatory) as part of an obligatory process (curriculum). 
    • Tim S.- there is nothing in the recommendations to ASJCCC that states that the SLO process be part of the curricular process. 
    • Karen asked Mallory N. (IR Director) about when the 2-year Update to the Follow Up report is due to ACCJC.  Mallory said that this is not due until next year. 
    • Karen asked for Senators to think about ideas on solutions and will summarize what was discussed today to share with department chairs and schedulers to encourage their input as well. Tim will co-author piece with Karen.
    • Next week, the issue of what to do with the SLO Assessment Form as a required part of the Curriculum Review process will be an action item.

    Board Policy and Administrative Policy 4100 Graduation Requirements for Degrees and Certificates (2nd Read/Discussion)
    • BP 4100 (formerly BP 6020 and 6120)
    • AP 4100
    • “Credit by examination” is the phrase that should be used in the section of the policy concerning students who seek to use noncredit courses to satisfy degree and certificate requirements, because that is the process that already exists. 
    • Question by committee: “Ethnic studies must be offered” Does offered and then canceled count as “offered?” How often do they have to be offered?
    • FW - faculty has to show that the student did not “fail” the class, but they just stopped coming without withdrawal or drop.  This distinguishes whether a student “earned” an F by performing poorly on assignments or was given an F grade because the student failed to submit assignments.

    Draft of New Academic Senate Dues Form (2nd read)
    • Alicia presented the updated form with edited wording that was worked on with the assistance of Nancy Chao in Payroll Services.
    • Motion to approve made by Susan, seconded by Kim P.
    • 17 votes in favor of approval, no objections, no abstentions

    Good of the Order
    • Questions regarding part-time contract notifications. Why does the initial notification informing faculty that their contract is ready to sign state that they are late in signing the contract?

    Officers and Senators

    Executive Committee Members Present

    Name Position Present
    Karen Chow President Y
    Mary Pape Vice President  Y
    Alicia Del Toro Executive Secretary/Treasurer Y
    Ishmael Tarikh PT Y
    Mary Donahue PT Y
    Paul Klingman App Tech  
    Vacancy App Tech  
    Bob Kalpin BHES
    Gayatri Pal BHES Y
    Mia Breen Bus/CIS
    Mary Pape Bus/CIS Y
    Ron Dunn CA
    Vacancy CA  
    Julie Kennedy CD&E Y
    Betty Inouye Counseling  Y
    Rob Clem Counseling   
    Kevin Glapion DSPS Y
    Anita Vazdifar DSPS Y
    Vacancy ICS/IIS  
    Marc Coronado ICS/IIS  
    Cheryl Balm PSME Y
    Lisa Mesh PSME Y
    Shagundeep Kaur LA Y
    Kim Palmore LA Y
    Susan Thomas SSH Y
    MyLinh Pham SSH Y
    Louise Madrigal PE Y
    Vacancy PE  
    Tom Dolen LR Y
    Mary Sullivan SD Y
    Mae Lee Curriculum Committee Y

    Guests Present

    Name Position Present
    Thomas Ray Administrator Liaison Y
    Josephine Lukius DASB Representative  
    Bob Stockwell Faculty Association Y
    Christina Espinosa-Pieb Interim De Anza President  
    Rob Mieso VP of Student Services  
    Lorrie Ranck Acting VP of Instruction  
    Susan Cheu VP of Administrative Services  
    Hyon Chu Yi-Baker Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs  
    Marisa Spatafore Associate V of Communications & External Relations  
    Lorna Maynard Classified Senate President Y
    Bhuvaneshwari Natarajan (Bhuvi) De Anza Student Trustee Y
    Mallory Newell Institutional Researcher Y
    Moaty Fayek Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems  
    Renee Augenstein Articulation Officer  
    Mary Bennett Tenure Review Coordinator  
    Sheila White-Daniels Dean of Counseling  
    Vacancy Dean of Creative Arts  
    Alicia Cortez Dean of Equity and Engagement  
    Sam Bliss Interim Dean of Physical Education  
    Isaac Escoto FH Academic Senate President  
    Carolyn Holcroft FHDA District Academic Senate President  
    Pam Grey Associate VP of College Operations  
    Stacey Shears Dean of Disability Support Programs & Services  
    Anita Kandula Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences  
    Michele LeBleu-Burns Dean of Student Development/EOPS  
    Lisa Mandy Director of Financial Aid  
    Nazy Dean of Enrollment Services Y
    Edmundo Norte Dean of Intercultural/International Studies  
    Jerry Rosenberg Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering  
    Judy Miner FHDA Chancellor  
    Dawn Lee Tu Faculty Director of Office of Professional Development Y
    Carolyn Wilkins-Greene Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities  
    Kelly Swanson Director, Book Store  
    David Ulate FHDA Research & Planning  
    Tim Shively FHDA Union President Y
    Abhiram Rishi Prattupati La Voz Y

Back to Top