Need Help With Listening and Speaking?
At the LSC, our talented tutors offer activities to help you improve your language communication skills and deepen cross-cultural understanding – so you can build confidence and achieve your goals!
Celebrating Native American Heritage Month
Anthropologist Ella Cara Deloria, also known as Anpetu Wastéwin (“Beautiful Day Woman” in Lakota), was born in 1889 on the Yankton Sioux Reservation and raised on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. While attending Columbia University’s Teachers College, she became close with “father of American anthropology” Frank Boaz and helped him to research and translate Native American languages for the next 15 years. Her own body of scholarly work — including interviews with tribal elders, Dakota grammar books, translated ceremonial texts and a partially finished Lakota dictionary — became an important foundation for the study of Sioux dialects and culture. She also wrote the novel Waterlily, published posthumously in 1988, about the daily life of a Teton Sioux woman in an attempt to introduce Native American culture to the non-Native public.--Marisa Sloan
Join Us Online and In Person!
To sign up for ESL workshops and tutoring, click the yellow "Sign Up for/Join ESL Workshops & Tutoring" button below and follow the prompts on your screen. Click the same button to join the sessions offered online. For in-person sessions, join us at AT 313.
For World Language Tutoring, scroll down and click the "Request a World Language Tutor" button. Click the same button to join the sessions offered via Zoom. For in-person sessions, join us at AT 313.
Fall 2023 Hours
- Monday - Thursday: 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Week 1 & Finals Week: Closed
ESL Workshops and Tutoring / Tutoring for Speech
- ESL General Workshops: 50-minute small group sessions for everyday conversation practice and on other special topics such as idioms, listening, reading, and pronunciation.
- ESL 251/255 Support Workshops: 50-minute small group sessions on the topics covered in ESL 251 and ESL 255, including pronunciation, presentation, verb tenses, adjective clause, and sentence structure.
- ESL/Speech Tutoring: 30-minute one-on-one sessions for help with ESL listening and speaking homework or any other topics related to ESL and oral communication skills.
- Weekly individual sessions for help with the world language courses offered at De Anza.
- Available languages: Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, German, and Spanish
World Language Drop-In Hours and Conversation Group
- Spanish Drop-In Tutoring online or in person: Tuesdays 2:30-3:30
- Spanish Conversation Group in person at AT 313: Thursdays 2:30-3:30 (No registrations required)
- Check back here for updates
Become a Tutor!
You can improve your own skills in communication and your favorite academic subjects by helping other students learn. We provide training – and it's fun!
Questions? Contact Us!
Kanako Suda, Instructional Support Technician
Diana Alves de Lima, Student Success Center Co-Director
Melissa Aguilar, Student Success Center Co-Director