Tutor Training & Meetings
New Tutor Orientations
All new tutors must attend an orientation before they begin tutoring. Orientations cover SSC mission and outcomes, tutor ethics, tutoring policies and procedures, hiring and payroll, and how to conduct the first session. Each new tutor is assigned a senior tutor at orientation.
Please review the the SSC Tutor Handbook before the orientation.
If you miss the in-person orientation, or want to review the material to pass the quiz in your tutor training class, please follow links on the new tutor orientation page and view the online presentation.
All Tutor Meetings & Supplemental Training Sessions
All Tutor, Supplemental Training, and other meetings (required for both new and returning tutors.) Two hours of additional training sessions are required each quarter for returning tutors, and are a prerequisite for pay raises. Tutors should stay tuned for emails about upcoming trainings and meetings.
Tutor Training Courses
All new tutors, unless exempt, enroll in and attend a tutor training class during the first quarter of tutoring.
LRNA 98 - Tutor Training for Math & Science Tutors - for new math and science tutors
- Instructor: Diana Alves de Lima with Melissa Aguilar and SSC Instructional Support staff.
- 1 Unit. Meets five times on Fridays.
- Meets on Fridays 1:30-3:10 PM in S16 beginning week 3.
- In addition to the class, tutors complete "topic-specific" workshop sessions or activities.
LRNA 96 - Intro to Peer Tutoring in Groups - for new Skills Adjunct, group and general subject tutors
- Instructor: Diana Alves de Lima with Stephanie Pham and SSC Instructional Support staff.
- 2 Units. Meets six times, beginning week 3.
- Meets on Fridays 9:30-11:20 pm, beginning week 3.
LRNA 97 - Intro to Peer Tutoring in Writing - for new Writing & Reading Center tutors
- Instructors: Diana Alves de Lima with WRC Instructional Support staff
- 3 Units. Meets weekly, beginning week 1.
- Meets on Thursdays 4:00-5:50 PM, beginning week 1
Once hired, tutors subscribe to the All Tutor Professional Development Canvas site to receive announcements about required additional training sessions.
- Topic-Specific Sessions: New math/science tutors complete topic-specific sessions, or approved alternative training activity.
- Returning Tutor Required Sessions: Returning tutors complete two topic-specific sessions, or approved alternative training activity.
- All Tutor Meetings: Tutors are required to attend the All Tutor Equity Training Workshop offered each Winter quarter. Other required meetings may be scheduled as well.
Tutor Resources: Please explore the All Tutor Professional Development Canvas site for resources for tutors and students--subject area links, learning skills, learning styles and more!