Video Self-Reflection Assignment
All SSC tutors in tutor training courses must complete a Video Self-Reflection assignment...think of it as not only a homework assignment, but an "initiation ritual" for the tutoring community at De Anza. These rituals are often a bit scary, but once you've done it you'll learn a lot!
The specific assignment and deadlines vary by which tutor training class you are taking, but the basic instructions are the same.
For this assignment, you need to:
- Arrange to record a tutoring session with your most reliable tutee or group. Explain that you'd like them to help you with a required homework assignment for your tutor training class, that no one but you and your senior tutor will view the recording, and the goal is to help you become a better tutor. You may need to contact them the day before to remind them how important it is for them to show up. If you only tutor drop-in, please try to find a drop-in student who would like a more individual, 20-30 minute session in a quiet location, and record with that student.
- Contact your senior tutor in advance to schedule 30 minute meeting for sometime after you will have recorded your session.
- Record an entire tutoring session.
- Watch the entire recording yourself, taking notes on the questions in the assignment (see tutor training course green sheet and Catalyst for the assignment questions).
- Choose a segment of the video to watch with your senior tutor. DO NOT just send the file to your senior tutor--the main learning is the experience of watching it together! When you meet, be sure your Senior Tutor follows the guidelines and uses the Outcome Rubric linked from http://deanza.edu/studentsuccess/tutorinfo/videoreview.html. Please print these out to use during the session.
- Write up the assignment, following the instructions in the assignment carefully and addressing all of the questions.
- Submit your written reflection in Catalyst
Use your own recording device if you have 30-50 minutes of memory. If you do not have a recording device, bring a USB drive. If you need to borrow one from the SSC, ask the staff. If you do not have your own device, record yourself on one of the Center's iPads in S43, or on one of the Macs in the Center, using Quicktime or Photobooth. Please arrive early to check and set up the equipment before your session. Any of our permanent SSC staff and most Senior Tutors can help you set up.
Photo Booth on an SSC Mac: Launch, click the Film button, and then click the Record button. When you click Stop, the video shows up in Photo Booth’s shelf and is saved to your ~/Pictures/Photo Booth folder. (You can send a copy to your Desktop by just dragging it there from the Photo Booth shelf.) The resulting 640x480 H.264 MOV file should already be pretty small,and Photo Booth doesn’t offer any more built-in compression, but you could always open that file in QuickTime Player and use Save For Web (or Export For Web in QuickTime 7) to compress it a little more if it doesn't fit on your USB drive.
Be sure to save the video to your own device.
See http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/recording_video_your_mac_it_gets_even_easier for detailed instructions.
Good luck, and please don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it!