Directed Learning Activities (DLAs)
Would you like to go above and beyond your English class assignments to improve your skills?
DLAs are worksheet packets on writing and reading topics. Use Adobe Acrobat to open the fillable pdf and save your work. Then, review your answers/questions with a tutor. Watch our video to see how to drop in and see a WRC tutor!
- Creating Dynamic Thesis Statements
- Introductions and Thesis Practice
- Effective Body Paragraphs (MEAL version)
- Keys to Success in Summary Writing
- Revising: The Art of "Re-Seeing" (Note: This is not yet a fillable PDF, so please type answers on a separate document.)
- Using Direct Quotes
- Avoiding Fragments and Run On Sentences (Version A)
- Avoiding Fragments and Run On Sentences (Version B)
- Get the Tense Right: Secrets of Verb Tense in Academic Writing
- Subjects and Verbs: The Art of Agreement
- Proofreading: The Final Check
- Active Reading: Mark Up Those Texts
- Coming Attractions: How to Preview a Text
- Learning the Elements of Fiction
- Making Sense of Reading: How to Locate Main Idea/Claim in a Text
- Expanding your Vocabulary through Reading
Academic Skills Workshops
These small group, one-time workshops will increase your writing, reading, and study skills. Academic Skills and writing/reading topics are offered during weeks 4 through 8 of the fall, winter, and spring quarters. Check the Workshop webpage for the schedule and watch the info video on how to attend a Skills workshop.