Skills Workshop Schedule
Spring 2018 Skills Workshop Schedule by Topic
(click to download pdf)
Spring 2018 Skills Workshops by Date
(click to download pdf)
Skills Workshops in ATC 303 are presented by staff & faculty in the Student Success Center who lead fun-filled, informative discussions and interactive activities to support classroom instruction by helping students at all levels become better learners and gain the confidence and skills to achieve their greatest possible academic success. Workshops are designed for a diverse student population and appeal to a variety of learning styles and skill levels.
Attend a workshop to...
- discover more information about yourself to achieve personal and college success
- become more aware of study strategies to help you to "study smarter, not harder"
- learn how to become a life-long learner by developing effective study habits
- fulfill a requirement for a Skills course, complete Customized Academic Support (CAS) hours, or earn extra-credit in a De Anza College course (see course instructor for details.)
Workshops are open to all currently enrolled De Anza College students, although priority seating is given to students fulfilling requirements for an Adjunct Skills 232 course or CAS.
How to Sign Up
- Just show up to ATC 303 at the time listed! Advance sign-up NOT required.
Review the workshop schedule for day, time and room location.
- First come - first served to guarantee a space. Priority seating is given to students who arrive on time and are fulfilling requirements for Skills 232/233 or CAS.
- Students who arrive late will not be seated.
- Each presenter will determine seat count based on classroom size and workshop topic.
Possible Workshop Topics:
LIFE SKILL & CAREER
WRITING & READING
|Anti-Procrastination||Goal Setting & Motivation||Active Reading|
|Braingame: How to Communicate in Study Groups||How to Write a Resume||Avoiding Fragments & Run-Ons|
|Braingame: Engaging Ethics||Growth Mindset||Creating Dynamic Thesis Statements|
|Memory Strategies||Editing, Proofreading, & Revision|
|Note-Taking in Class||Effective Body Paragraphs|
|Test Taking Strategies||Keys to Success in Summary Writing|
|Tests with Less Stress||Subjects & Verbs: The Art of Agreement|
|Textbook Reading Skills||Vocabulary in Context|
|Time Management Strategies||Math Test Strategies||Warming Up to the Writing Process|
- All workshops are held in ATC 303
Workshops are 50 minutes in length and free of charge.
- Workshops take place during Weeks 4 - 8 of the quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring).
Seating is limited, so please arrive on time.
Lab Requirements for Skills 232 & 233 Students:
Participate in workshop or complete the online activities listed in Canvas for SKIL 232/233.
- Wrote a Journal discussing how you will apply what you learned in the workshop to your academic performance, classroom experience, college life, or career goals.
- Submit your journal through Canvas De Anza's online course management system.
Labs are graded Pass or No Pass. Lab Credit is documented in your Canvas Gradebook.
- Click on Skills Labs to learn more details about lab requirements, submission, and grading.
Other Workshops on Campus: