Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations

Accommodation Disputes

Accommodation Disputes

Academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, and service requests may be authorized only when:

  • The student has completed the college’s disability documentation/intake process, and
  • The student has formally requested an accommodation, and
  • The accommodation is determined not to alter course content or present an undue burden.

The Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) Division uses state and federal regulations to determine that:

  •  An individual is a qualified person with a disability, and
  •  The individual has an educationally-related functional limitation that qualifies her/him for:
    • Any appropriate and reasonable academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, or services (accommodations).

The college is charged adopting procedures to handle accommodation disputes. A student may initiate the Steps outlined below, considered to be an Informal Process, to mediate a resolution in the following situations:

  • Disagreement or dispute about an accommodation determination
  • Denial of an accommodation
  • Belief that the accommodation provided is inadequate
  • A complaint about DSPS programs or services

At any point, a student may elect instead to pursue a formal recourse by filing: 

Students are strongly encouraged, however, to first employ the following Steps in the Informal Process in order to have a disagreement mediated without (or prior to) initiating a District or external complaint procedures.

Steps to Address a Complaint regarding an Academic Accommodation or a DSPS Program or Service

  1. If a student is dissatisfied with an accommodation decision or a service of a Disabled     Students Program and Services (DSPS) Division:

     1.1 Discuss the issue with the specific staff member involved, or a DSS Counselor or LD Specialist.
     1.2 If the concern is unresolved, speak to the program lead instructor or staff member.
        1.3 If unresolved at this point,
              1.3.1 Contact the DSPS Dean and, if necessary
              1.3.2 Bring the concern to the campus 504/ADA officer who will proceed according to 2.2.
  2. If a De Anza College instructor disagrees with the professional recommendation of a professional DSPS Division staff member or if an instructor denies an accommodation to a student, either the student or instructor may proceed as follows:

       2.1 Contact the DSPS program that originally authorized the accommodation.  An informal meeting will be set up.
                2.1.1 The meeting shall proceed within five (5) instructional days.
                2.1.2 The purpose will be to determine a mutually agreed upon resolution, if possible.
                2.1.3 The meeting may include the,
  • Concerned parties
  • Dean of the academic division involved or the Dean's designee
  • Dean of DSPS or his/her designee.

            2.1.4 Once a resolution is agreed upon, all parties will be informed and the resolution will be implemented.

      2.2  In the event that no resolution is reached or if the instructor or student disagree with the decision, the student, the instructor or the DSPS professional can refer the matter to the college 504/ADA  officer.
            2.2.1 The matter should be referred within five (5) instructional days for review.
            2.2.2 The 504/ADA officer will take those actions necessary to render a decision and
will inform all parties of that decision within five (5) instructional days.


Accommodation Provision During Resolution Period

  1. The accommodation originally authorized by DSPS will be permitted for at least a three (3) week period while the matter is being considered, per Section 2.

      3.1  In the case of a dispute with a program in the DSPS Division, the accommodation will be authorized for this period, unless it represents an undue burden to do so.
      3.2  The 504/ADA officer will make any necessary determinations to extend the time period.


  1. Parties who wish to appeal a decision made by the 504/ADA officer at the conclusion of the resolution process can proceed with the District Procedures to Resolve Complaints Regarding Harassment and Discrimination (Board Administrative Policy 4640) or may file a Discrimination Complaint with the California Community College Chancellor's Office.

Students may also file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights/San Francisco.           

For more information and contacts, see the Disability Information Student Handbook (DISH) Section 2, Concerns and Complaints, "Student Complaints and Resolution Process."

Return to DISH Table of Contents

DISH Table of Contents

- (Quick Links)

Section One: Coming to De Anza College

Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations

General / College-Wide Accommodations and Services

Instructional / Classroom Accommodations and Services:

Alternate Media Services:

Deaf or Hard of Hearing Services:

Legal Aspects

Concerns and Complaints

Section Three: Disability Support Programs & Services Instruction

Section Four: Success Strategies

Section Five: Campus and Community Life

Back to Top