DISH Table of Contents- (Quick Links)
Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations
Adapted Equipment Loans
Students can borrow specialized equipment essential to access course requirements. Since loans are made for a temporary period, students are encouraged to purchase their own equipment when possible.
Specialized equipment is available for loan through DSS and includes:
- Digital tape recorders
- Portable closed circuit print enlargers
- Assistive listening devices (DHHS)
- Daisy players
- Smart Pens
- Talking calculators
The state of California has a program to loan BrailleNote equipment which De Anza can participate in on an as-needed basis. See your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist.
Steps to follow to borrow equipment:
- See your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist.
- Sign an Equipment Loan form that describes the loan conditions and the equipment and accessories on loan.
- Guidelines for borrowing equipment vary depending on the type of equipment borrowed.
- The Loan form will specify the return date and the policies for borrowing equipment.
- If a student fails to follow the guidelines, any future borrowing maybe affected or college records held.
- You may be asked to replace damaged or lost equipment.
- The Computer Accessibility Lab (CAL) has a comprehensive list of assistive technology hardware and software in its lab and mainstream campus computer labs.
- The Library provides two accessible computers, located on the first floor of the library, for students with disabilities.