Section One: Coming to De Anza College

Fees and Financial Information

Disability Support Programs and Services Division

Fees and Financial Information

Cost to Attend

De Anza College fees are set by the state of California and are subject to change. Although community colleges are less costly to attend than other colleges, the enrollment, lab, student body and health fees, as well as books, materials, and transportation can add up to a substantial sum each quarter. Students who do not meet California residency requirements and foreign students pay a tuition fee in addition to regular fees. Current fee information is printed in the Class Schedule. Fees and tuition are payable at the time of registration.

The DSPS programs do not have any funds to grant or loan to students. There is no separate financial aid program for students with disabilities. We encourage you to apply for the general financial aid programs and assistance administered by the college, and scholarships and disability benefit programs administered by the state and federal governments. The Disability Support Services' Counselors, the Learning Disability Specialists, and the Financial Aid office can help you with more information.

Student Financial Aid

Although there is no separate financial aid program, students with disabilities often qualify as any student does for a number of programs, including:

Fee Waiver

The Board of Governors grant fee waivers which enable low-income students to pay a smaller portion of the enrollment fees. Students who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are eligible once they supply verification information and file a BOG-W application form. Other low-income students may also qualify. Check with the Financial Aid office. Students registering through Disability Support Services can be helped by their DSS Counselor or LD Specialist to file for the waiver. Fee waivers are valid for up to one year, and need to be renewed each spring for the following academic year.

Grants and Loans

The Financial Aid Office administers a number of federal and state grants and loans. You must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line in order to establish eligibility and for the college to determine any award. If you need assistance with completing your FAFSA, or if you have exceptional financial circumstances due to your disability, check with the Financial Aid office or Disability Support Services.

De Anza also offers campus-based assistance, such as the Book Loan program and other special assistance. Financial Aid or your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist can help you determine if you are eligible for these.


The Financial Aid office provides information and applications for a large number of on-campus and off-campus scholarships.

Both the college and the community offer a number of excellent scholarships targeted for students with disabilities. Among these are the following, most of which are awarded annually:Among these have been the:

  • Carl Brown Memorial Scholarship (All Disabilities)
  • Keith Goodin Memorial Scholarship (Math)
  • Gerard Hagan Technology Scholarship
  • Dale M. Schoettler Memorial Scholarships (Physical Disabilities)
  • Seth Stauffer Memorial Scholarship (Learning Disabilities)
  • David Wolin Memorial Scholarship (Math)

Announcements for these are posted in the Financial Aid office, on-line and in the Disability Support Services offices. Deadlines vary, but many campus scholarships are due in February. Specific eligibility and application procedures are listed in the scholarship announcements.

Disability Support Services offers scholarship workshops in winter quarter.  Application assistance is available from the programs' DSS Counselors or LD Specialists.

Disability Support Services' Book Scholarships

Disability Support Services is able to provide book scholarships to eligible students each quarter.  Because funding for these scholarships is through the Dale Schoettler Memorial Scholarship fund students must meet the eligibility requirements set forth in the bequest.  Students must have a verified physical disability to apply for the scholarship, and then meet additional criteria.  See a DSS Counselor or LD Specialist or see the Book Loan/Scholarship page in Section 2 of the DISH for more information.

California State Department of Rehabilitation

The Department of Rehabilitation assists individuals with disabilities to obtain employment and live independently in their communities. Services are based on eligibility criteria established by law. Rehabilitation plans are developed for each individual client. Among the assistance they may offer their clients is help with training costs such as fees, books and materials, transportation and necessary assistive equipment.

If you are a client of the Department of Rehabilitation, your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist can assist in coordinating your De Anza program with your rehabilitation plan. If the Department pays your fees, we will advise you about how to have your authorization sent to the college and how to arrange for the purchase of books and supplies.

Return to DISH Table of Contents

DISH Table of Contents

- (Quick Links)

Section One: Coming to De Anza College

Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations

General / College-Wide Accommodations and Services

Instructional / Classroom Accommodations and Services:

Alternate Media Services:

Deaf or Hard of Hearing Services:

Legal Aspects

Concerns and Complaints

Section Three: Disability Support Programs & Services Instruction

Section Four: Success Strategies

Section Five: Campus and Community Life

Back to Top