DISH Table of Contents- (Quick Links)
Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations
Under ADA and Section 504, De Anza College is not required to provide personal services or to employ personal aides. Services generally considered to be personal include:
- Storing or administering medications
- Assisting with personal hygiene or personal clothing
- Mobility aides (including wheelchairs)
- Assisting with food or drink
- Transportation to campus, or
- Assisting in personal matters
Typing, writing or proofing papers, or academic tutoring are also not required, although the college has tutoring resources and DSPS offers some basic skills tutoring through Learning Disabilities Support.
Guidelines on Personal Aides
- DSPS does not provide personal aides or personal services to students with disabilities.
- Classroom attendance in courses at De Anza is generally restricted to enrolled students only.
- Students who wish to have a personally arranged aide accompany him/her in class must obtain prior authorization.
- Authorization is granted on a case-by-case basis and students who want to request such permission must:
- First contact their DSS Counselor or LD Specialist.
- Meet eligibility requirements for disability services. See Disability Information Student Handbook (DISH), Section 2, Using Disability Services, "The Basic Questions" for specific information.